Sunday, September 18, 2022

Tennessee Getaway Weekend

 September 13 - 18

We spent the weekend in the Knoxville area with our oldest and his family.  The weekend racing highlight was it was Woodbine Million Day in Toronto and there were multiple stakes at Churchill which had opened for their two week September run during the week.  The highlight of the early part of the week came on Tuesday when one of MY horses, Carrothers was entered to run in a second level allowance at Presque Isle Downs.  The pre-race video from the trainer to us owners indicated they thought he'd be on or close to the lead, which was curious to me because in the past he's always near midpack or farther back.  He sat near the back, about five off the lead to the turn.  Gradually moved up, then rallied to edge clear late!  WHOOOO HOOOO!  Cashed my ticket and later collected my share of the purse into my account :)


We flew to Knoxville on Thursday and spent a wonderful four days with the grandsons and their parents.  Saturday's racing was excellent!  I was able to watch the first half of the racing before we left for the University of Cumberlands football game (where our oldest is a coach) and watched most the rest on the way to the game and during the early stages of the game.  Here's how the racing played out......

The first winner of the day came on the Woodbine undercard in a race that typically I avoid.  I often say that entry level allowance races are about the most difficult to predict because the runners are so varied in their backgrounds and records.  But in this one, going a mile and a sixteenth on the inner turf, had a horse with a favorite angle of mine.  Rocket Joe Cooper had been claimed out of a Gulfstream race by Woodbine-based trainer Martin Drexler - OBVIOUSLY with the intention of running him here over the summer.  Was a close third in his Woodbine debut, but the 9yo was claimed away.  In his very next start, Drexler claimed him right back (and for the same owners!).  I like to see that.  Sat close to the pace to the top of the lane, edged to the front and held off the closers to score at a nice $8.20 price.

The first win under the Twin Spires in Louisville came in the fifth in a 2yo MSW race.  Counting the also eligibles there were SIXTEEN runners signed on and of those, FIFTEEN were first time starters.  Oh my.  You know you're probably guessing, but the fact that Brad Cox's Loggins was made the 6/5 morning line favorite was telling.  Multiple bullet works for the $450K son of champion Ghostzapper made him a likely choice.  The crowd was all over him as well and he ran off impressively through the lane as the 4/5 choice.

The seventh at Churchill was the first of the added money events, the Open Mind Stakes going six furlongs.  A field of five was originally signed on and it featured two old rivals - Bell's The One and Sconsin.  Both had beaten the other and both were multiple stakes winners.  But, even with her come from behind style, Bell's The One was clearly the one to beat.  I wavered when the wagering opened because two scratches had reduced the field to just three, one of which was THE lone speed.  Still, the crowd was on board I stuck with my choice.  Rallied on the turn just as Sconsin took the lead.  With a sixteenth to go jockey Corey Lanerie had her blowing by to win going away.  WHOOOO HOOOO!

Before the racing day began, after I'd handicapped and posted selections for Woodbine and Churchill Downs I decided to look at the morning line odds for the races in New York.  There were two marathon, 3yo graded events which caught my eye because I'd bet and won with both the favorites and there was a 2/5 morning choice.  I added them to my selection sheet.  In the 7th, the Grade 3 Jockey Club Oaks going eleven furlongs on the turf, Chad Brown's Mukullick had proven herself a top grass filly and I thought there was enough speed to set up her finishing style.  She moved mid-way on the turn, a bit too early if you asked me, and got on even terms with the leader.  They dueled through the lane until in the final 100 yards she edged clear for my first win in New York.

Euro-based trainer Charlie Appleby brought multiple Shadwell Stables owned runners to North America last year and cleaned up on multiple Gr 1 races.  And today, in the first of the juvenile stakes, the Grade 1 Summer, he had Mysterious Night.  This colt had been HIGHLY regarded from the beginning, being sent off at even money in his debut.  JUST missed, then came right back to win as the prohibitive 2/5 favorite.  Followed that with back-to-back show finishes in Group 3 races before winning the most recent Group 3 effort.  Never been two turns but on paper he looked easily best.  Made a gigantic move coming out of the turn and opened by more than a pole to win in an "OH MY" impressive effort that will probably make him the favorite in the Gr 1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf.

The tenth at Churchill Downs was the Louisville Thoroughbred Society Stakes going six furlongs.  And as I often say, you have to use ALL the tools available in making your selections.  I thought the race was pretty much a toss-up, but then I noted that the three public handicappers ALL made Miles Ahead their top choice, with DRF analyst Marty McGee making him his BEST Bet of the Day.  What was interesting was that he was 6/1 in the program!  At the top of the lane he was rallying.  The leader was wandering around and so Miles Ahead shifted outside of him, was squeezed while two others rallied and three of them hit the line virtually together.  My first inclination was I'd maybe won, then the slow motion replay I was wondering.....then the camera was focused on Miles Ahead and he was declared the winner in a TIGHT photo!  Paid $7.46 as much of the crowd jumped on board - note the penny breakage now in Kentucky!

The national highlight race and my BET OF THE DAY was next, the Grade 1, $1 Million Woodbine Mile.  Last fall in the Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf I liked Shadwell Stables Modern Games - trained, like so many other Euro invaders that won Gr 1 stakes last year, by Charlie Appleby.  As the final horses were going into the gate ANOTHER horse reared up.  They backed the horses out of the gate and then it was announced that the horse had scratched and also that Modern Games had scratched.  As I heard this I saw him standing in the gate and wondered, what the???  There was a long delay and a lot of discussion before it was announced he WOULD run but for purse money only.  Later it was announced that "someone" had mistakenly scratched him from the betting pool, which was WORLD WIDE and to get all that money back in before the race was too difficult.  He won, and I did NOT get to cash.  GRRRRR.  In his 3yo debut he'd beaten fourteen rivals in a Group 1 in France.  Then he went a mile and 5/16th and finished fourth as the favorite - probably too far.  Next, was close without winning going seven furlongs - probably not far enough.  But the KEY race was his last going this mile distance.  He'd finished 2nd beaten a length and a half, but the winner, Baaeed is the best turf horse on the planet and is unbeaten.  So a close second would easily win here.  Sat fifth saving ground to the top of the lane, got into the clear when heads were turned for home and his acceleration set him in full flight for the wire, quickly blowing by everyone and drawing off by an ultra-impressive half dozen lengths.  WOW he's good.  The likely favorite in the Breeders' Cup Mile!

The 3yo colt feature in New York was the Grade 3 Jockey Club Derby.  Classic Causeway had sprung the upset two back at Belmont going wire to wire, but at Saratoga Nation's Pride had restored form to the 3yo turf division by winning the Saratoga Derby.  I thought he looked EASILY best here today.  He sat fifth into the stretch, got into the clear and accelerated immediately by everyone and drew off by a pole.  I thought the $3 plus payoff was exceptionally generous as I cashed my final ticket of the day.


Handicapping Results

Woodbine Mile Racing Highlights



Social Media

Secret Celebrity Renovation is a show that we watch, and the designer on the team is Sabrina Soto who I follow.  After a recent show she posted on Twitter, which I've not seen her before.  So I responded and she "liked" it :)

Allison is wife to one of my best buddies from the Oasis High football experience.  Kenny and I immediately were social media friends but only has Allison become a "friend" of mine.  She has now become a regular "follower" and commenter on my posts :)))

On a recent post Melissa made the comment that she missed us and I remarked we should all travel together, to which she agreed.  This is in the works....we'll see how that plays out!

My gal pal Kimmy and I exchanged several messages recently.  And of most significance, she told me she was getting married.....IN SCOTLAND!  I told her I would have come if asked and she told me she wished I would have "made the cut" but the guest list was short and no one backed out.  I WOULD have gone, for sure.

So, during our trip to Alaska gal-pal/social media friend, CBS-4 Weekend Anchor Karli Barnett had followed our trip and had messaged with me and noted our trip on her Facebook chats.  BUT when I sent her some pics at the end of the trip, for two weeks.....not a peep.  Thought maybe we were "breaking up" LOL but then when I wished her happy birthday she apologized for not seeing them earlier and responding.  All's well in our "relationship" now :)  


I was looking for interesting trips and found that for "ONLY" $109,000 you could join 75 Disney fans and spend 24 days on a private jet going to every Disney park in the world.  Of course I immediately thought of my "Disney Girl" Amanda and asked her if she'd go with me.  :)

Kimmy's wedding pics....how ironic she got married exactly four years after we'd gotten together at Gulfstream for dinner.

Karli responded to all the birthday wishes and several followers commented on this pic.  For what it's worth, she does a great job of responding to everyone, so it's not that I was "so special" to get a response.  But I DID scroll through all her replies and one and ONLY ONE got a "LOVED" heart as part of the response.....yes, mine :)

Karli's reply on the Saturday chat when I was at Jeff's football game

Saturday Night College Football



No comments:

Post a Comment