Sunday, June 9, 2024

Belmont Festival at Saratoga

 June 6 - 9

What a weekend!  Started with the extended stakes action at the Belmont at Saratoga meet which ran Thursday through Sunday with over two dozen stakes.  Then on Saturday, just before the Gr 1 Belmont, we left for the arena for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.  What an epic night.  Let's get to the action.....

Thursday June 6

With the big Belmont facility doing a complete make-over, this year's Belmont Festival was held at Saratoga.  Not really sure why they didn't continue the running at Aqueduct, especially since they will return there next week, but Saratoga IS a special place.  Because the action started Thursday I watched the races on Fox where former Gulfstream analyst and my social media gal-pal Acacia Courtney-Clement is often on air.  So when she appeared on the screen I took her pic, sent it to her and she "liked it!"


The day started with a 7th in the opener and then ran third in the Tremont Stakes for 2yo's, but because of a weekend-long "Bet Back" promotion through TwinSpires I got my money back, so I "cashed" the ticket!  Race 3 was a good example of several things about racing, these days.  First, it's a good example that everyone has an opinion at the races and you get to state your opinion at the betting windows, then we know for certain who's right and who's wrong.  It was also an illustration of how my approach to handicapping has changed.  When I first started keeping records there were public handicappers on all the major circuits that their opinion carried weight with my selections.  There's only one of those left today, as I have found I'm often more right - and show a flat bet profit on MY picks - than they are.  The third race was a seven furlong, entry level allowance and I liked Caldo Candy.  No surprise since he exited a good second facing winners for the first time, had never run a bad race, and had the best, last race Beyer figure.  But the DRF's Mike Beer, not only didn't put him on top - that's ok, everyone gets their own opinion - but he didn't even list him in the top three.  I just don't get how if you are PAID to guide the betting public, you can't put an "obvious" choice on top.  Quickly got to the front and wired the field.  And maybe I should thank Beer because somehow he paid a generous $7, so maybe some novice bettors followed his poor advice.

The Jersey Girl Stakes was next, and it was a talented field of 3yo fillies, I thought.  But Almostgone Rocket for Brad Cox looked like the real deal on paper.  She pressed the pace to the turn then took off like a "rocket" and was long gone as the 1-2 favorite.

No bet in the fourth, but in the fifth Todd Pletcher had an entry made up of two, what looked to be very talented first time starters.  Both would have been the bet if they had been in the race alone, and they were 1-2 turning for home before Audacious drew off as the favorite.

Race 7 brought me my fourth consecutive win as Chad Brown's very talented Ways and Means dropped out of stakes company for the first time into an entry level allowance field for a confidence builder.  The definition of "Best Bet" varies by individual bettors - some prefer the term for the best opportunity to perhaps make some money.  But for me a "BEST Bet of the Day" means you are more likely to cash your ticket here than on any other race.  Ways and Means proved me right when I labeled her as the Thursday best - easy, peasy, pie.  Thought I had a solid pick in the two-mile, Grade 2 Belmont Cup on the turf, but the Godolphin favorite, and defending champion didn't fire and didn't even hit the board.  Still, went four-for-seven on the day - cashed five of seven - and showed a flat-bet profit.


Friday June 7

For me, the betting action didn't start until Race 5 on this Friday card from upstate New York.  Ran 3rd and then 2nd in back-to-back allowance events, but again.....because of the TwinSpires promotion I "cashed" on both of them.  I smiled when the analysts on the Fox set debated about betting on Munny's Gold from the Todd Pletcher barn in Race 7, an allowance event.  Much like the Ways and Means race yesterday, this filly had shown immense talent and her losses, some by the narrowest of margins, had come in graded stakes.  Even with other front runners in here she looked obvious to me.  Right to the front and aired with ease.

Four consecutive graded stakes followed and I liked my chances in all of them.  But, alas, I ran 2nd fifth, and third - "cashing" in two of them.  That led us to the day's finale, and for me the highlight race of the day, the Grade 1 Acorn for 3yo fillies.  This is the New York version of the Kentucky Oaks, the 3yo filly companion race to the Gr 1 Belmont Stakes.  In the Oaks, I'd nailed the winner, Ken McPeek's Thorpedo Anna who had wired the field impressively and I liked her here today.  But on Thursday he was interviewed on the set of the "America's Day at the Races" telecast.  He was so upbeat about his filly, so much so that he said that if he didn't have the Derby winner in the field he'd have entered Thorpedo Anna in the Belmont Stakes and she would have beat them.  That was some big time confidence.  So when it came time to bet, I upped the wager to "Bet of the Weekend" status.  Pressed the pace of the 2yo filly champion Just FYI to the turn, then blew by without ever being asked.  She IS the most talented 3yo in the country......of either sex my friends.  While I only had two wins from seven bets on the day, I cashed on SIX of seven, and with the big bet I showed a flat bet profit AGAIN.  :)



Saturday Belmont Stakes Day / Game 1:  Stanley Cup Final

Today was almost CERTAIN to be a BIG DAY and I was most excited for the sports action to get started when the horses went to the post at an early 10:45am.  And that's because not only did I have races from Belmont at Saratoga, Monmouth, Gulfstream, and later this evening from Canterbury Park in Minnesota, but today our Florida Panthers were HOSTING Game 1 of THE Stanley Cup Final.  A BIG DAY for sure!  In the opener I liked General Partner, who'd been a selection of mine on Friday but he scratched out of that sprint allowance to run in this 1 1/2 turn mile allowance for Chad Brown.  Pressed the pace to the far turn and was gone, much the best....and we're off to a winning start!

Missed on four straight from New York, and even though I ran third in the Grade 2 True North, the "Bet Back" didn't apply because there were only seven runners.  But I got back into the win column at Gulfstream with a 2yo MSW race.  Everyone of the runners were making their debut, and they were going the abbreviated four and a half furlongs, with the first finish line.  No room for error!  I typically am NOT a player in the So Fla 2yo races, but Global Legend for Mark Casse showed a 3rd best of 76 work that looked awfully flashy.  Went off as the second choice and when the favorite was checked at the start from the rail, Global Legend was home free on the front end at better than 5/2 odds.

Ran 2nd in the Grade 1 Suburban at the Spa, so I "cashed" again and then I scored at Monmouth in a claiming race on the turf where Bizymaline had beaten better two back.  Had to muscle between rivals in the lane after being blocked behind a wall of horses through the turn, then burst through to score.

One reason I played Gulfstream today is because they had two stakes races, both on the turf.  But rain moved into the area during the afternoon and both were moved to the all-weather.  In A Jam looked just as good to me on the synthetic as the grass, and proved to be way the best in the Not Surprising Stakes.

I ran second in the Grade 1 Phipps at Saratoga - "cashed" - before it was time for Monmouth's feature, the Lady's Secret going a mile and a sixteenth on the dirt.  Todd Pletcher's Candied had won at first asking as a 2yo then won the Grade 1 Alcibiades at Keeneland before running third in the Gr 1 BC Juvenile Fillies.  Made her first start at 3 with an average 4th in the Grade 1 Ashland at Keeneland.  Now shows up here in a listed event.  SHOULD be much the best, right?  On the turn it looked like she had no interest in running and jockey Paco Lopez was pushing her hard.  Then suddenly it was like she said, "Fine...ok, I'll run."  And she blitzed by the leaders and drew off easily.

I split "bet back" 2nd and 3rd finishes at Saratoga in two graded stakes with a win at Monmouth that was STRICTLY due to my knowing the circuit.  The seventh was a claiming event on the turf and Mailman Money was listed at 12/1 in the program, and for good reason....she was 6/0-0-0 in her turf races.  Yet.....top rider Paco Lopez showed up.  What's up with that.  The last time she'd won, several months back, had come on the synthetic - which, ok, plays like turf - but note the rider.....the ONLY time Lopez had been on board.  OK, that's too much of a coincidence!  Sent off at 8/5 she blew by everyone and jogged home under wraps.  Sometimes I'm just really smart :)

Missed at Gulfstream and Monmouth and then it was time for the Grade 1 Met Mile.  Bob Baffert had shipped National Treasure to run here.  He'd won the Preakness last year and then was a photo finish 2nd in the Gr 1 BC Dirt Mile behind Horse of the Year Cody's Wish.  Off that effort he'd won the Grade 1 Pegasus World Cup - as my bet!  And then ran 4th in the $20 Million Gr 1 Saudi Cup beaten only a length and a quarter.  This distance seemed ideal.  Looked to be other speed in here, but I thought, as the Rock would say, "IT DOESN'T MATTER!"  Right to the front, hounded to the top of the lane by a longshot you'd think he'd be softened up?  Nope.  Drew off in an ultra impressive effort.

Missed at GP and MTH, again, before it was time for the Grade 1 Manhattan going a mile and three-sixteenths on the turf.  All weekend Charlie Appleby's Godolphin stars had been bet down and had yet to produce a win.  NYRA analyst, and "grumpy old man" Andy Serling just ranted about what a bad bet Measured Time because of those other horses.  You'd think after all these years in the game he'd know that how one horse runs does not affect how another horse runs, duh.  I'm glad a lot of bettors apparently took his word as gospel because Measured Time went off at 3/1 and drew off by a pole allowing me to collect over $35.

I had time to watch one more live race, the second stakes from Gulfstream, The Martha Washington (also moved to the Tapeta).  The last two Beyers earned by De Regresso - wins, in stakes with better rivals than this one had (albeit on the grass) beat the combined 42 lifetime figures of her rivals.  Pressed the 5/1 front runner to the top of the lane, opened up and drew away.

Kim and I drove to the arena and as we were driving the Grade 1 Belmont was in progress.  I had listened all day to the NYRA "grumpy old man" Andy Serling not only say he he would bet but he criticized anyone thinking that Todd Pletcher's lightly raced Mindframe had a chance.  It's not that he has an opinion on his horse, you SHOULD have some confidence and/or angles that make you want to bet.  But to try and make others feel like they are uninformed, well maybe he thinks that people like that personality of his, but most that I know think he's just mean and I'm glad when he's wrong.  Turning for home Mindframe accelerated to the lead as I watched the replay on my phone in the arena, but then he began taking two steps sideways for every step forward allowing 17/1 Dornach to re-rally up the rail.  Mindframe saw him, ducked back down inside, accelerated, and came up a neck short at 5/1.  Would have been a nice pay day - Serling's pick way, WAY up the track.....quack quack quack.  And I "cashed" for running second!

Panthers vs. Oilers:  Game 1 Pre Game



The game was just AMAZING! I've never heard the crowd so loud for the team coming out for WARM-UPS!  The pre-game show was sensational and the roof blew off four minutes in when the Panthers scored first.  Edmonton played strongly but our defense was great.  Got an insurance goal early in the second and sealed the deal 3-0 with an empty-net at the end.  Interesting stat - the team that wins Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final has historically gone on to win the Cup 76% of the time.  This REALLY could be THE YEAR!

We got home and I had three races to watch.  Mansa Musa was easily best in the Saratoga finale - cashed for nearly $40.  And I hit one of the two stakes at Canterbury (ran second when my horse, the favorite hopped at the start and was last away from the gate).  For the day I finished 11-of-25, better than 40% and AGAIN a flat bet profit - today bringing home the biggest profit of the weekend so far.



Sunday June 9:  Empire Showcase Day

Still basking in the glory of the amazing Game 1 in the Stanley Cup Final I had more than a dozen selections from Belmont at Saratoga, where it was "Empire Showcase Day" - with multiple stakes for NY-breds - Churchill Downs, and Monmouth.  The second at Churchill was a second level allowance and my opening bet on this Sunday afternoon.  Corningstone had run winning figures last summer and fall but his comeback was not good.  But he had the back class and a local work.  Tracked the leaders to the stretch, edged to the front and drew away.

Missed at Monmouth when second as the prohibitive 1/5 favorite, but right back to the winner's Circle at Saratoga with Save the Trees.  Always difficult to win first time off a maiden score, but I remembered this horse and went back and watched the replay from his Keeneland score.  Hopped at the start and was last.  On the turn he'd passed but a single horse and was still 9th into the lane.  In the last quarter mile he was seven wide and not only blew by, but was geared down late.  How good would he be if away cleanly?  I tripled the bet.  Still wasn't away the cleanest, but was mid-pack into the turn.  only three wide, he swooped up and blew by to WIN for my second score under the Twin Spires.

Ran 4th in the first of the NY-bred stakes before I got my first stakes winner of the day, at Churchill Downs in the Leslie's Lady Stakes, a 7 furlong dash for 3yo's.  Emery had won at first asking at Saratoga last summer then pressed the pace in the Grade 1 Frizette before weakening to be fourth.  Off until October she won handily as the 1-2 favorite in a $100K nw1x allowance at Keeneland.  Talented with a bright future she went off at what I thought was a generous 4/5 favorite.  Swooped by from fifth of the fine runners without being asked and won geared down, never asked for her best.

Right back in the fourth at Saratoga with James Bond's Speightful Lady who'd flashed real talent with a 95 Beyer on debut.  Went off as a prohibitive 1/4 favorite drew off handily wire-to-wire.  Followed that with a fourth at Monmouth then got my first Empire Stakes win when Drakes Passage went right to the front, shrugged off the longshot foe and drew off, my fifth win from my first eight selections today.


Missed in the Monmouth feature as the 1/9 favorite - WOW, then missed at 4/5 in a Saratoga stakes before scoring with Sahalat in the Churchill finale.  I was hesitant to bet this guy going for weak human connections, but THE HORSE looked much the best on paper.  The prohibitive favorite was nowhere to be found as I scored at a nice 3/1 and cashed for almost $45 big ones.  Closed out the weekend with a win in the off-the-turf Kingston at Saratoga where Spirit of St. Louis was WAY too good.



I'll be the first to admit that my big profit was in large part due to the "Bet Back" promotion that was run all weekend long, but it IS worth noting that I'd have had a profit and a positive ROI had I NOT "cashed" those tickets.  The Week's Totals:





Social Media this week.....

One of the few "in person" pals I used to have was Sandra from Jenny Craig.  I so enjoyed our weekly meetings and chats.  But now with that business online only I no longer see Sandra, but on occasion I get to text with her.  This week we had an extended exchange about her trip to Italy, and we compared pics of our respective trips to Lake Como.


Most weeks I get an exchange with my all-time favorite former, Kimmy and this week she reacted to my preview of our upcoming trip, and then we talked about how exhausting kids can be :)


Gal pal from C Bay Melissa moved to the Naples area and she posted about starting summer vacation.  I "welcomed" her to my world :)


Analyst Acacia and her "like" to my message.....


It's interesting, to me, that CBS-Miami reporter Trish Christakis sometimes seems to "see" my replies and messages, other times no.  When she posted about being in the arena for the big game I messaged her and on this occasion she "liked" that I reached out to her.


I found CBS-Miami Weekend anchor Teri's message after she appeared on the week-day morning broadcast "interest" - who so many "emotions" for the morning shift?  But she liked my message.

Former WHS student and fellow Miami (Oh) grad was on a girls' getaway - looked like nothing but trouble so I told Jen so :)


Out of the blue former gal-pal and CBS Weekend Anchor Karli Barnett emailed me back about my Viking TV script.  So sweet and some legitimate thoughts to consider.


Of course most of my interaction with "friends" came with gal-pal Lauren Pastrana.  Each day she reacted to my messages about our upcoming trip.  She also "liked" when I sent her a message about the 12-year anniversary of the big Cypress Bay graduation at the Marlins Park with then Vice President Joe Biden as our key note speaker.  Got "likes" to message about our win last Saturday and when she posted about coffee in the morning as well.  Our exchange of actual messages this week came when she posted about a raffle for her son's little league baseball team and I offered to donate.  Got two tickets to help the boys out :)  And finally she posted a teaser about an upcoming "investigative report" that I will look forward to.  Well done my friend!






















No comments:

Post a Comment