Friday, July 5, 2024

July 4th

 Special Holiday Racing

July 4 - 5.....Thursday
My original plan was when racing concluded last Sunday that I would be "dark" until our return from the river cruise.  But when I saw there was plenty of action on Thursday and Friday, special holiday action I decided to play on the 4th.  It was not a "great day of racing by any means, but I was happy with the day because (a) it kept me occupied, (b) I swept the NYRA stakes races, and (c) I exchanged interactions with long-time gal-pal and very attractive handicapper/analyst Acacia Courtney-Clement.  The day started with five misses (two seconds and a third in the mix) before it was time for the first of the two stakes races at the Belmont at Aqueduct meet.  The Perfect Sting Stakes was a one-mile turf event and my first concern in my analysis was if I could hit three short-priced winners in a row.  After the first two failed to deliver I was less concerned about the "track psychology" of Mouffy winning under legendary jockey Frankie Dettori.  Had the best numbers and excuses for losses in her last three, all graded events.  She was trapped behind a wall of horses into the lane.  Finally got clear with a furlong to go and had work to do.  Found a late gear, surged and J-U-S-T up in time!  WHEW.  Wish I'd upped the bet, but what ever :)

Third in back to back races - first at Ellis Park (where it was Opening Day - but because of a lightning strike on the water tower no fans were allowed) and Monmouth.  The 4th at BAQ was a MSW going a one-turn mile and I liked Chad Brown's debuting Headline Numbers.  The barn had solid stats and according to the DRF analyst, over the last five years, he was 5-for-15 with 3yo first time starters, on dirt at Aqueduct.  She was relaxed in sixth to the turn, swept up and drew off looking like a graded stakes winner.  VERY impressive.  AGAIN, wish I'd upped the bet.

Got my first win at Ellis Park for the summer in a 2yo MSW race where Mrs. Worldwide was the only starter with a good debut.  Facing a lot of firsters I thought the experience and the outside draw all worked in her favor.  Tracked the two leaders in the clear on the outside while third to the top of the lane.  Took off and was an easy winner.

Somehow Horsepower, who'd run 2nd twice over the Monmouth grass - WITH Paco Lopez - was not mentioned in the DRF analyst's top three.  Go figure.  Couldn't fool me.  I doubled the bet.  Tracked the 5/1 front runner while well in hand to the top of the stretch, took off and drew clear easily.

The final win of the day came in the Grade 3 Victory Ride, a six furlong sprint for 3yo fillies.  Emery had only been out four times, and the three times she sprinted, she won all three.  Figured to be stalking the pace and finishing full of run.  It played out like that, though it took every inch of the stretch for her to get to the front.  But she did get up with my triple investment on board.

Sunday July 5 - I got up without any handicapping completed because I had no intention of playing, but I was nearly completely done prepping for our trip and really had nothing on my plate.  So I checked out the entries and discovered there were some good races at Monmouth, Belmont, and Gulfstream so I worked my way through all three cards and had several selections before 11pm with an approaching 12:45 first post.  The day saw me only win four races, but I felt good about the day because I went "ALL IN" on the "Bet of the Week" in Belmont's featured Grade 2 Brooklyn, and scored.  In the 3rd at Gulfstream King Skull was plunging in class and if he could run at all he figured to win.  Right to the front, dueled through the turn, got clear and then held off the closer up the rail with my triple investment on board.

The next six, all misses, saw me run 2nd twice and third once before arriving at R4 on the Jersey Shore.  It was a second level allowance and The Distractor was a multiple winner, but all the wins showing were in high priced claimers.  Still, it was Paco Lopez and the numbers pointed him out.  Sent off as the 3/5 favorite he traced his main rival, who was even money, into the lane, collared him....dueled and edged clear in the final 200 yards.

Didn't hit the board in the next three, but then it was time for the eleven furlong Grade 2 Brooklyn.  Next had been moved to marathon dirt races last year and since then had ripped off six of seven.  The lone loss came when coming off a long layoff.  All six wins produced triple digit Beyers, which no one else in here had ever run.  And that last out win in a 12 furlong stakes at Churchill was by almost a dozen lengths.  That he did not need to lead, but could sealed the deal.  Tracked the main rival through the first nine furlongs, then turning for home, in a breath-taking move, just ran off without being asked to win by nearly a pole.  Cashed for nearly $60 on my forty-dollar wager.  That win made me feel good about the day.

Got one final win, when at Monmouth Charlie's Express gave Paco Lopez his FIFTH winner on the day.

Truly don't expect to be playing the races while on our trip - and by the way we got off to a BIG start with social media hits when I posted our packed luggage! - but I might be tempted to play at least a little as Saratoga opens next week!




Social Media this week......

Playing the races on July 4th I had several picks from New York and that meant I watched a lot of the action on "America's Day at the Races" which often features hottie handicapper, and social media gal-pal Acacia Courtney.  I've told her many times that I'm happy for her, but we soooooo miss her in South Florida.  No one they've brought in is as capable with their handicapping insights, and of course no one is as attractive.

Karli Barnett sent me a message over night July 4-5 apologizing for not watching my Viking TV video yet.  She is so sweet, and much like I miss Acacia at the track, the local CBS station has never been able to replace Karli as a superb weekend anchor.  AND....like Acacia, few broadcasters are as attractive as my social media gal-pal.  But one of the coolest responses I've ever gotten from Karli came when I replied to her and I mentioned we would be leaving on our next adventure, the Rhine River cruise.  I then said to Karli, note highlighted portion, that it would be a dream of mine to be on the same cruise WITH HER when she goes with her Mom & Dad (something she's mentioned to me before).  And HER reply was that "would be a party for sure!"  She is so sweet.




Lauren Pastrana and I connected twice - once when I lauded her and the rest of the CBS-Miami team for broadcasting the Panthers celebration all day Sunday and then going right back to work on Monday.  And then she liked not only my comment on her follow-up to her story on Alzheimer's but also on the cute dress she had on.






No comments:

Post a Comment