Sunday, July 19, 2020

Haskell Week

July 16 - 19

This week we headed over to Cape Coral on the west coast of Florida to a rental home where the plan was we'd live most of the time through November as I joined our son Jeff's coaching staff at Oasis High School.  But as the time has gotten closer to the actual start of practice and school the rising numbers from the pandemic/virus are causing most plans to be pushed back.  We kept our first month of the rental agreement, (a) so we'd have a place IF things did go through, and (b) viewing it as a month long get-away vacation (which in my mind would "replace" the two cancelled cruises that should have been highlights of the summer/fall).  On the first day Jeff came over and we had a "Welcome Toast" .....
A Toast...."To the past, to the future, but most especially to the NOW"

Here's how the racing week played out......

Thursday July 16:  Opening Day at Saratoga
The original plan was not to handicap until Friday, but with Thursday being Opening Day at the Spa I decided to look at the card.  I really was excited to see the featured Grade 2 Schuylerville Stakes for two-year-old fillies and the potential superstar Beautiful Memories run.  But I found a couple of other races where I liked the runners.  In the first play of the meet I liked Todd Pletcher's Eternal Summer in a maiden event on the turf.  As a two-year-old he'd run here.  In his debut he was pinched back and the start and jogged around the track.  In his second start he was a sharp third to Structor who came back to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf.  Off since last summer, I know Pletcher is excellent with layoff runners.  Right to the lead with John Velazquez and led to deep stretch until overtaken late by a Klaravich runner (NOT from Chad Brown's barn).  But that one was DQ'd and my number got put up at a nice 5/1 price, so I cashed for $30.

Missed on the other picks, and in the feature Beautiful Memories was away awkwardly and pulled up in the stretch.  Reports were she was perfectly fine, and I'll look for her to run back maybe later in the meet.

Friday July 17
Missed in the first two races of the short Friday program (remember, we have a 5 pm post time).  And my pick in the third race scratched out.  But in the fourth, my first added money investment, I liked Peaceful Feeling on the grass in an open claiming event.  She "boasted" only a 1-for-8 mark on the turf but last time out she'd made what looked like a winning move into the stretch, only to be caught late.  And that was going a sixteenth farther than today, at the more competitive Belmont meeting, AND off the layoff.  Jersey Joe Bravo took over today and if she ran back to her last two turf Beyers of 71 she'd win for fun.  Moved three wide to the front into the lane and drove for the wire.  Suddenly I'm 1-for-3 and ahead for the day!

Right back in the fifth race which was a a Maiden Special for Jersey-breds.  Last time out Pianzi was a sharp second, although the beaten favorite.  BUT it was coming off a layoff....it was his best finish ever....it was his best Beyer ever.  Have to expect improvement moving into state-bred company and indeed he was far, far too good for these.  Romped under a hand ride.

Finished the day 2-for-4 and a winner for the day.

Saturday July 18
The signature day at Monmouth featured six straight stakes at the end of the big fourteen race card.  I considered, since we were in Cape Coral, just playing on the Jersey Shore.  But decided in the end to also handicap the Saratoga card and the Woodbine card.  By the time the first race went off I had twenty-two selections on my sheet, with the first race going off at noon and the last one at 7 pm.  In the Monmouth opener I liked He Will who was 5/1 in the program.  I noted you had to "open the window" to find the races that would make him figure.  He'd not run on the turf for quite some time, because he'd spent the winter at Oaklawn.  But if he ran back to his last four turf events, he'd win for fun.  As they turned for home, he was still far off the pace with a lot of work to do.  But suddenly he hit overdrive and blew by the field to win going away.  And he was a nice $9.80.  So even with the minimum play I cashed for nearly $25.

Missed on the next five picks over the next two hours.  The fifth at Monmouth was an entry level allowance on the grass.  Typically don't like to play these, especially with a runner like Zabava who had over twenty career starts and had yet to win that initial allowance race.  But she was new to the Jerry Hollendorfer barn and showed a sharp bullet work while picking up Paco Lopez.  She tracked the 12/1 front runner to the stretch, moved to take over but that one would not go away....PHOTO finish.  I was pretty sure I'd won and I did, but then the OBJECTION and INQUIRY lights went on.  I was on the outside of the front runner and a challenger was trying to come up the rail but had to steady.  Seemed obvious to me that my horse was not to blame, but the objection and inquiry went against both of us.  NO CHANGE!  Whoooo hoooo.  Cashed for nearly $25 on my second winner.

The next selection on the sheet was the first big stakes of the day, the Grade 2 Hall of Fame from Saratoga for three-year-olds.  The horse on the rail was Chad Brown's Domestic Spending who I'd seen last time out and I thought "That guy goes to stakes company next time out!"  But then I saw that the BEST 3yo on the turf, multiple stakes winner Decorated Invader was also in the field.  Hmmm.  Eventually went with the proven commodity and wow was Decorated Invader impressive.  Tracked the lone speed who was at least a half dozen lengths in front to the far turn while in second.  Too far back?  When asked he cut into the margin, was on near even terms heading for home and opened up through the final furlong.

Missed in the sixth at Monmouth before I had a triple investment in the seventh on the Jersey Shore.  Total Tap had been in three claiming events for a $16K price tag, and won them all.  He'd two second level allowance events in that span, didn't win either but ran Beyers in one of them that matched the $16K numbers.  All four of those figures would win here by daylight.  And today not only did he get Paco Lopez, but was in for $12.5K going a one mile trip where he was 4-for-9.  Mid-pack to the turn, moved to challenge, caught the leader but could not put him away to the shadow of the wire, but a winner none the less.

Less than fifteen minutes later it was time for the 5th a Woodbine, an allowance event where Clayton looked best, even in a field that had several Queen's Plate hopefuls.  In his debut he was no secret, going off at 6/5 and blowing out the field while earning a huge 88 Beyer.  An eventful trip vs. winners had compromised him to be second.  A clean trip and he's the winner I thought.  Had THE cleanest of journeys and when he opened up it was a "WOW" performance as he drew off as much the best as he pleased.

Missed the next two, but in the Grade 3 Monmouth Cup I thought Global Campaign looked good to me in spite of the fact it was a WIDE open race.  But I'd seen Global Campaign run previously.  He began his career at Gulfstream and at one point was on the Derby trail.  Fell off, but won the Grade 3 Peter Pan.  He'd been off for a while but returned with two wins (as my choice) at Gulfstream and now was entered here.  Thought he would rebound off an uncharacteristically off-the-pace try in Churchill's Blame Stakes.  Sure enough, he went right to the front, but into the lane he was collared and apparently passed.  Would not say no and fought back to not only regain the lead but pull clear late.  Courageous and gutsy effort.  Paid $7 and even with the minimum play I got back nearly $20.

Less than fifteen minutes later and they were in the gate for the Grade 3 Trillium at Woodbine.  My upset choice was 10/1 on the morning line, Souper Escape.  The race was a mile and a sixteenth on the main, synthetic track and 'Escape had spent his entire career on the turf with one lone exception.  In that one non-turf event he'd won a stakes race for fun!  Jockey Luis Contreras was a 43% rider for the barn.  When I switched Xpressbet screens to make the bet about fifteen minutes before post time, Souper Escape was the 2/1 favorite!  What happened to my big odds?  Looked at the multi-race payoffs and he was well-played so I decided to up the bet.  Right to the front, clear by daylight and won in an absolute canter.  So clever of me to up the ante!!!!

They'd no sooner crossed the wire when I flipped back to Monmouth for the Grade 1 United Nations.  The one thing I was nearly certain of when I handicapped the race was that the program favorite, Arklow, would NOT win.  He'd run just 13 days ago in the Grade 2 Elkhorn at Keeneland where he and Zulu Alpha were supposed to have a "showdown."  I made Zulu Alpha my BET of the Day and he romped while Arklow was well beaten.  Now back in a "hey, let's try that Monmouth race" last minute event, AND off a poor effort.  NO.  I looked for alternatives and landed on Aquaphobia with Jersey Joe Bravo on board.  Listed as the 9/2 fourth choice in the program.  He'd been claimed by Mike Maker four back and immediately won a restricted starter stakes.  Then he was a close-up fourth in two graded events.  Today it looked like Paret, who'd won a stakes at this trip last time when slowing down the lead to a crawl, would be in front and Aquaphobia would be right behind him.  But when I flipped to the Monmouth page Aquaphobia was a longshot 10/1.  Wait, what?  I looked in the multi-race payoffs and he wasn't one of the top choices.  Am I wrong here?  I thought, "well, I upped the bet and it paid off, I should cut back on the bet here."  Then I looked again, one of the big reasons he was 10/1 was the crowd was POUNDING Arklow.  They are SO WRONG!  I'm sticking with the double investment, could be a big score!!!  The race was E-X-A-C-T-L-Y as I saw it and when they turned up the backside I KNEW I had a good chance.  Bravo had Aquaphobia close to the leader skimming the rail and on the turn I said, "we're about to find out if I'm good enough."  Bravo eased him off the rail, collared Paret and in the final sixteenth edged clear!  Paid a whopping $23.40 - so glad I didn't scale back the bet! - and I cashed for nearly $120!

Missed at Woodbine and then it was time for the 9th at Saratoga, my BEST BET at the Spa.  As a 3yo Digital Age, a Chad Brown turf runner, had been ultra impressive.  He'd won his debut at Tampa when apparently hopelessly beaten at the top of the stretch and came right back to win the Columbia Stakes with a furious rally.  On Kentucky Derby Day he was entered in the Grade 2 American Turf and won at nearly 9/1.  I remember this because my son Jeff called me to thank me for saving his day :)  Winless since he'd come off the bench at Belmont and I remember the analysts ALL saying he was the best horse but there was only a lone front runner and he'd be pace compromised.  Closed willingly for second but had no chance into the soft pace.  So when he was entered today I knew he'd get a legitimate chance.  What made my bet was when the Daily Racing Form's Mike Beer didn't mention ANY of that in his analysis when picking him second behind a Brad Cox second time Euro.  I'd had that one in is North American debut, and he was impressive but he was no Digital Age.  So I made Digital Age the BEST BET.  Unfortunately the crowd also poured the money in on him.  The Euro didn't lift his feet and Digital Age roared down the lane to win going away, much the best.  Oh I'm having a VERY good day!

The next was THE RACE of the day, the Grade 1 $1 Million TVG Haskell Invitational.  Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert has won this race EIGHT times and today he shipped Kentucky Derby hopeful Authentic to run.  Listed as the 4/5 morning line favorite he would rule this event IF he ran back to his first three races.  In his last he'd run in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Derby.  BUT....he'd been in the outside gate, was slow away from the gate and wide into the first turn.  Forced to rate off the leaders he moved to the front but had no answer for Honor AP who mowed him down easily, but still Authentic held second.  Today he had an inside post and looked long gone on an easy lead under Hall of Fame rider Mike Smith.  Made HIM the Best Bet at Monmouth.  Right to the front easily, turning for home he opened up under a hand ride and announcer Frank Mirahmadi called, "Authentic is just cruising...."  But the 2nd place horse, Ny Traffic under Paco Lopez would not give up and began gobbling up ground.  He got within a length, 3/4, 1/2 and was bearing down ..... PHOTO FINISH.

WOW that was close!  But he won.  Later I saw an interview with Smith and he said Authentic is so young and inexperienced he was looking around the entire time and not running straight.  Said he was so off course down the backside he almost lost Smith!  Oh my.  But he didn't and I had my tenth win of the day.  Next the third Grade 1 event of the afternoon, Saratoga's Grade 1 Coaching Club of America Oaks going nine furlongs for 3yo fillies.  Normally this race would feature some 3yo fillies who'd run in the Kentucky Oaks and up and coming fillies.  But with the Oaks now postponed to September ALL of these were up and coming.  Bob Baffert had a shipper that looked to be the lone speed and Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott had a rising star in Paris Lights.  I loved Paris Lights.  Bill Mott next to never has his horses ready right away, so when one shows talent in their debut, watch out.  She'd done that when third on debut and then won right back in her next start.  In her most recent, an allowance at Churchill I noted this same thing and had her as she won.  Now to jump into a Grade 1, Mott must think he's got something.  Paris Lights pressed the Baffert filly and turning for home they were head and head together dueling to the shadow of the wire when finally Paris Lights edged every so slightly in front.

WINNER!  My eleventh win from twenty-two selections and a profit of well over $150.  What a day.
Haskell Day Selection Sheet :)

Sunday July 19
I had multiple bets today and I was pretty confident I'd have at least a couple winners, but I didn't want to "ruin" the weekend by draining my winning percentage or my profits.  As it turned out I need not have worried.  Missed the first bet after passing the opener...those two were won by a 50/1 winner and a 20/1 winner, yowza.  In the third I liked Bebeau.  His last race looked much the same on the Beyer scale as the other contenders, but he'd had trouble AND was dropping in class today.  His prior numbers made him an easy winner.  And he was at even money - my first added investment is a winning one.

Passed the fourth and then the fifth was a handicapping dilemma.  When I was first learning the game my buddy Keith had taught me some basics and one of those adages was, "...a quitter, is a quitter, is a quitter...."  Another big time angle that works to pick winners (not avoid losers like the "quitter" angle) is the Double Beyer Advantage where a horse has run Beyer speed figures in his last two starts that beat the lifetime best figures for the rest of the field.  And so we come to Saucy Derek in this Maiden Special event going a mile and a sixteenth on the turf.  Saucy Derek had been out four times on the turf, right to the front and then backed up through the stretch.  The very definition of a "quitter."  BUT......the four Beyers he'd earned in his four lifetime turf tries were better than the combined seventy-six, yes 76 lifetime turf efforts from the rest of the field.  So he'd be loose on the lead and then......the "quitter" angle or the "Double Beyer" angle kicks in?  I took him, doubled the bet.  Right to the front, coasted into the stretch in front by nearly half a dozen.  A 17/1 shot came running but never within a couple lengths....easy, peasy, pie.

Missed with a triple investment in a short four horse field, sigh.....and passed the 7th.  In the eighth the biggest question about Growth Engine was the layoff dating back to Saratoga LAST summer.  He'd debuted in second behind Global Campaign (see Saturday's Gr 3 Monmouth Cup) and then won handily next time out going two turns.  Two good seconds at Saratoga followed and then the layoff.  Brown is excellent with layoff types and he always has quality runners for the Klaravich Stables like this one.  Pressed the pace to the turn, opened up and won for fun.

Missed on the last two, but I'll take a three win day any time.  For the week - who can complain?  What a great week of racing!


Haskell Weekend Highlights

Welcome to Cape Coral!
A couple of pics from our arrival at the Cape Coral rental......
Welcome to Cape Coral!
First night's dinner at "Pinchers" at the marina on the waterfront
A great ending to the start of a new adventure

Exploring Ft. Myers Beach


More from my online social life
After a quiet week last week I reached out  to my gal-pal broadcaster Lauren Pastrana who anchors the local evening news, and I've been watching each night here in Cape Coral.  I was sincere in telling her that I enjoyed getting the news online, and that she's the one I trust most of the local are on the news.  She replied back and told me that I should watch the WINK news locally, when I'm not watching her, because she used to work at that station.

The next evening when I checked out the CBS-4 news I was surprised to see Lauren in a floral, print dress.  Typically she's in something solid or maybe two-tone.  But tonight she was all bright and colorful.  Then later in the evening she posted on both Facebook and Twitter a self-photo and said she was dreaming of a Hawaiian vacation, where would "you" like to go.  So, obviously I responded and again she wrote back to me.  Little thing to others, but certainly I enjoy the "friendship."


No comments:

Post a Comment