Sunday, August 11, 2024

Arlington Million Weekend

 August 9 - 11

Oh how I miss racing at Arlington Park....but it is what it is.  The racing weekend started at Monmouth on Friday and then after I originally thought Saturday would be a big day of graded stakes on the turf Saturday, they got moved to Sunday due to the after effects of Hurricane Debby.  Here's how the weekend played out.....On Friday, playing just the Jersey Shore races I had five selections from the eight races.  I ran third at even money with the first bet but then scored back-to-back victories.  In Race 3, a MSW for older going two turns on the grass, it looked to me like Giant James would be the top choice regardless of the surface.  And sure enough all the rain earlier forced the races to the main track today.  'James took a lot of early money so I upped the wager to a triple investment.  He tracked the leaders into the turn, then got shuffled back.  That can't be good, and he appeared to be spinning his wheels.  Suddenly top rider Paco Lopez got him into high gear, dove to the rail and rallied through the final 16th to pull clear at an "inflated" 6/5 price enabling me to cash for over $30.

Came right back in the next bet with Natural Star.  The race was a $7.5K "beaten" sprint on the main track.  'Star had won for fun when dropped out of a $16K spot to this level.  Claimed that day he was again moved up to the $16K level on the turf last time without results.  Now the identical pattern just looked way too obvious.  Tracked the longshots into the turn, took over willingly and was long gone.  Was off the board in the final two bets, but I'll take a 40% winning day any time.

Saturday turned out to be a good day in spite of the fact that I had to do some late minute handicapping juggling as the Colonial card - which I'd completed handicapping on Wednesday - was moved in it's entirety to Sunday.  And the Saratoga card I was going to play was an all off-the-turf event with the big races moved to Sunday.  So I handicapped - as usual - Monmouth, and added in Gulfstream.  It was also "Made In Minnesota Night" at Canterbury so I handicapped their twilight card and finally had some picks from Del Mar.  I missed with the first two selections, both minimum plays before the horses were into the gate for Race 3 at Monmouth.  It was a MSW six furlong sprint and I really liked See The Truth who was exiting a nose loss at this level and distance.  Even more impressive was that this effort had come off of a nearly one-year layoff!  The race played out in a nearly identical fashion to the first win of the week.....dueled three wide into the turn, fell back, dove to the inside, re-rallied and cleared off late.  It was a great ride by Paco Lopez and at even money I cashed for over $30 to suddenly be in the black for the day.

I missed at 3/5 at Monmouth in Race 4 before scoring with Mr. Georgie in Race 5.  Paco, of course, on a lightly raced maiden who'd been out twice for a $40K tag and twice for a $20K tag - all on the tougher NYRA circuit.  Today down to $10K on the Jersey Shore.  Was near the back early, YIKES, then began rolling five wide around the turn and into the lane with all the maiden.  By the 1/8th pole he was home free and won wrapped up.

Back-to-back races at Gulfstream followed.  In the fifth I was fourth as the 3/2 favorite before scoring in the featured Sharp Susan Stakes for 2yo fillies.  Win N Your In looked an oh-so-obvious favorite for several reasons.  First, three of the seven fillies competing for stakes honors were still maidens.  Then the last out Beyer earned by 'Win was a huge 79 figure.  While juveniles can suddenly improve it would be hard to bet on any of the others improving their last out Beyer by nearly a dozen points.  The second choice at 2/1 led the favorite into the far turn before she blew by and ran away earning Announcer Pete's patented, "....EEEEEAAAAASSSSSY money...." call.  I thought the $3 payoff was generous considering the big edge she held over her rivals.

Less than fifteen minutes later Festinate was a handy winner in a Monmouth $7.5K "beaten" sprint.  Two back he ran away at this level by nearly a pole.  Claimed away he was moved up into a $20K optional allowance race.  Outrun he was dropped back down again to this level again.  In retrospect I probably should have upped the wager but because it was such a cheap event I was reluctant to go in for more than the minimum.  Was third into the turn before taking full flight to the wire as easily best.

About fifteen minutes later it was a MSW for 2yo at Gulfstream and Saffie Joseph sent out Neoequos for the second time.  In his debut three weeks ago he was bumped right out of the gate and lost the rider so in my mind this was a "do over" of a debut with the important experience under his belt.  Blinkers on today could help I thought.  I had mistakenly listed him as the #8 on my selection sheet and the #8 was taking all the early money.  But as they walked up to the gate I caught my mistake and quickly cancelled the bet on the 8 and put it on Neoequos who was the #9.  Tracked the 4/5 favorite to the turn, collared the leader turning for home and surged to the front in the final 16th.  Cashed for over $30 on my fifth winner of the day.

Back to back 3rd place finishes before getting the next winner, this one at Del Mar.  Trainer John Sadler was sending For All Mankind out off of a SIXTEEN MONTH LAYOFF - oh my.  Not only that, but he was trying dirt for the first time!  But he'd won off long layoffs previously and his works were sharp on the main track.  Burst out of the gate and was quickly clear by daylight.  Never threatened and long gone at even money with my double investment on board.  

In the Grade 3 Sorrento for 2yo fillies at Del Mar all five had won last out in wire-to-wire fashion to break their maiden.  Bob Baffert's Nooni was the "obvious" choice for me, and I thought she'd relax off the pace.  But jockey Juan Hernandez quickly broke on top and dueled for about 200 yards.  Disposed of that one and it was all over.

I missed at Canterbury in the first of their stakes when Xtreme Diva was only 2nd best as the prohibitive 1/9 favorite!  But I came right back to win the Minnesota Derby when Street Warrior dominated his fellow 3yo colts.

Next up was the feature in So Cal with the BET of the Weekend in the Grade 2 Yellow Ribbon at Del Mar.  Anisette boasted a 7/5-2-0 lifetime resume including TWO Gr 1 wins and was a perfect 2-for-2 at Del Mar.  Jockey Umberto Rispolli tracked the leaders in third through the far turn, then instead of swinging wide into the stretch and losing valuable ground he patiently waited.  A seam opened and Ansinette shot through and drew off without taking a deep breath.  

Closed out the day with my tenth winner - from nineteen selections - in the 6th at Canterbury.  Found Jordan was racing for a first time tag, but he'd taken ELEVEN tries to break his maiden.  Enough of an edge to bet the minimum.  Caught the leader in mid-stretch, dueled and edged clear in the final strides.  WHOOOO HOOOO - a great way to end the day.

Sunday:  Arlington Million Day

The day started off oddly as Colonial Downs was nearly 40 minutes late getting their signal up and running causing my selection sheet needing to be modified by post times.  For the day I only had five wins, but they were all in stakes action.  Ironically two of the five were races where I bet because I knew the horse and he was a short-priced ML favorite AND I did not handicap the race!







Social Media this week.....

Nearly all my social media interactions this week were with my CBS girls, but I did get a reaction from gal-pal Chloe after she posted about her cute dog Millie.....

I had posed the question to Teri Hornstein recently if she wanted to follow along on our previews and trips and she seemed enthusiastic about that so I began sending them to her personally via Instagram.  Her reaction to our Belfast food tour was cool and she has "liked" every one since then, almost always responding within the hour, even when she's working the morning shift.

Long time pal Lauren Pastrana has been regularly "liking" the posts as well about the trip.....

But the nearly-every-day "conversations with Lauren continued this week.  First when I watched her via the live stream from my Mom's house and she did a story about metal detectors in the high schools locally we exchanged comments.  The day I landed back in Fort Lauderdale, I literally walked in the door and turned on the news and there she was doing a remote story about a fund raiser.  I reached out to Lauren and she replied about how happy she looked.  When Lauren posted some pics from her recent family trip to Hawaii I sent her a message that I would like to follow her trip and she wrote back that she and her husband were debating between Alaska & Greece.  Been to both - both amazing, and I told her so.  And finally she "liked" my comment about her being a "baseball Mom."


















No comments:

Post a Comment