Monday, April 19, 2021

I'm A Horseowner! Apple Blossom Weekend

 April 16 - 17

This time of year is a "slow down and regroup/recharge" time of the year as we are heading first into the five week Triple Crown Season and then into the summer racing season.  And so I play sporadically and mostly on the weekend.  The highlight race this weekend was the Apple Blossom, a Grade 1 worth a million dollars that was billed as the showdown between Monomoy Girl and Swiss Skydiver.  Kim and I were heading to the west coast of Florida for the weekend so I handicapped first the Friday card at Keeneland and then the Saturday card at Oaklawn.  I know, right, seems odd that I'd (a) only be playing two days, and (b) that both days only a single track.  But trying to get my handicapping batteries built back up for the next big season!  

On Friday the Keeneland card had ten races and I had six plays on the day.  After passing on the initial race I went in for a small amount on Bye Bye Bertie in the second, a starter allowance going seven furlongs.  I noted that Keep Your Distance was a deserving favorite but that off a tough race/win last time out I thought she might be vulnerable.  'Bertie tracked the front runner and the favorite into the turn and was in perfect position to make the winning move, but the favorite was too good and my pick ran evenly to be third.  Passed the third and then, against my better judgement I went with Javier Castellano on a short priced favorite, Deferred Taxes for Chad Brown.  I reasoned that in a short six horse field CERTAINLY he could not get into trouble here.  But, while he didn't get into trouble he was not close enough to the loose-on-the-lead 17/1 leader and left himself too much to do late, second at odds-on.  WOW.  Passed the sixth and finally got my first winner of the weekend with Master Piece in the 7th.  The Chad Brown South-American import made his run at odds of 1-2 and just edged clear late.  I had tripled the bet so I scored for nearly $25.

Missed in the 7th and passed the eighth before it was time for the featured Grade 3 Doubledogdare.  I had seen the likely favorite, Speech run before.  And while it was true she'd won HERE and with a big number I really thought she was overrated.  The other one who looked a likely win candidate was Chad Brown's Royal Flag.  What I didn't like was that she never ran super - always, "good."  If no one else fired she could win.  But I thought today that Bonny South, who was listed at 3/1 in the program, had an opportunity to run well.  Looked to be sitting on a big effort off a blistering bullet workout and had Florent Geroux riding for Brad Cox.  Speech stopped after a half and turning for home it was Royal Flag and Bonny South.  It was close on the wire, but I got up to win at a nice 7/2 price and cashed for nearly $25 again.

One of the cool things that happened during the week was that I got my opportunity to become a race horse owner/investor when after signing up with MyRacehorse.com I was able to purchase two shares in Monomoy Girl.  And I got a notice from my "ownership group" about what my potential payoffs would be if she were to win the Grade 1 Apple Blossom on Saturday.  We were visiting Kim's mom and twin sister in Englewood as I watched.  I hit two winners during the undercard and cashed on them for a combined $20 and change - both with minimum bets - before the big race.  


Monomoy Girl completely dominated the other headliner, Swiss Skydiver, but the Irad Ortiz "lone speedster" was more difficult.  As they spun out of the turn Monomoy Girl had her dead to rights and accelerated to join her and then put a head in front.  But Ortiz had saved something and the ultimate winner battled back.  It was an intense and epic stretch duel......

Oh so close.  Seventeen starts for Monomoy Girl and this was only the second time she had not crossed the line first.  But, as you can see I still cashed out with my share of the winnings!  As an added bonus to the week I heard from my gal-pal and newscaster, Lauren Pastrana :)



No comments:

Post a Comment