Monday, April 22, 2024

Keeneland Week 3

 April 19 - 20

It was a very good week and weekend!  The week began on Tuesday when the Panthers hosted the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 82nd and final game of the year.  And after playing since early October, our chances to win the division came down to this one game against our likely first round playoff opponent this weekend.  NOT a good start as they scored two goals in the first to the delight of the obnoxious MANY Toronto fans in the building.  But then the 'Cats came roaring back and scored four unanswered goals in the second to take control.  We found out Boston had lost which mean a regulation tie or an outright win would make us division champs.  Shut down those Canadians and sent them off to Boston for their first round match-up while we won the right to face out hated rivals, the Tampa Bay Lightning this weekend.  The racing began on Friday as I had six picks on the day.  After missing with the first play of the day I scored in two of the next three as both Wupkar and Emery went wire-to-wire, both turning away challengers at the top of the lane.  Ran 2nd and 3rd in the final two to finish 33% for the day.  


Saturday I had planned to play Keeneland, Laurel, and Oaklawn which all featured stakes events.  When it was announced that the Panthers would play Sunday and not Saturday I decided to add on the later races from Santa Anita.  And then Friday I decided to also add on Aqueduct to give me five tracks to play.  I ran 2nd at 7/1 with the first bet - that would have been a good start, then third.  The third play of the day was from New York and I liked the Chad Brown entry.  I preferred the one with experience in this Maiden Special sprint, but I noted the firster, Contrary Thinking "could be any kind."  My pick scratched but the firster was being heavily played in the win pool.  So I not only went with it but upped the bet.  Floated up in the odds as they went to post as the second choice.  Tracked the leaders in fourth thru the turn, then swung wide into the lane and ran off under a hand ride as MUCH the best.

With two "PASS" races it was about twenty minutes until Polterer went into the gate for the second at Oaklawn in a starter allowance sprint.  As I noted, we wouldn't be getting any kind of price but the likelihood of cashing was high on this 10-for-25 career runner.  He'd had two wins and two seconds this winter here, with the latest being a best-of-the-rest second against richer starter company.  Sat the perfect trip behind the speeds into the turn, then set sail for the wire and ran off as much the best.

Third as the short-priced 4/5 favorite at Laurel before they went to the post for Keeneland's third, and entry level allowance for 3yo's.  Mr. Skylight was the top choice and as I noted, I was reluctant to up the bet because he was a last out maiden winner.  But I'm also a big believer in Beyer speed figures and his two speed figures were not only "paired" but better than anything on the page.  AND his debut saw him not only finish a good second, but the winner had come right back to win.  Immediately it was a three way speed duel with Mr. Skylight in the uncomfortable between horses spot.  The top two put away the one rival and now the two of them dueled into the lane and to the furlong pole before Mr. Skylight edged clear to reward his backers, including this handicapper.

The third at Oaklawn was a non-winners of two lifetime claiming sprint.  As I scan past performances for these kind of races I almost always will keep right on going unless there is a runner with "decent" form dropping out of open company into this restricted level for the first time.  But the "rule" in handicapping  is there are NO RULES.  One Way Or Another had a woeful 15/1-5-1 lifetime resume.  But the field had three runners who had reached the 50's on the Beyer scale and in 'Another's last five starts she'd hit the 60's - all against higher priced restricted runners.  Seemed hard to believe that she hadn't found the "right" field for her second win.  Right to the front and took some early pressure, but turning for home she opened up and won by nearly a pole going away as easily best.

Minutes after the Oaklawn race went official they were heading to the post for the third in New York, and much like the opener, I had a solid pick in a MSW sprint.  Last time out Silver Satin had been the favorite, but was headed by today's rival Schlomo, but then rallied past that one despite being five wide.  I thought with a better trip he was obvious.  He broke sharply but jockey Javier Castellano took a strong hold of him and he sat patiently behind a trio of dueling front runners.  You could tell he was ready to run midway on the turn, but had no where to go.  Once they straightened for home Castellano swung to the outside and easily blew by to win going away.

At this point in the day, after losing the first two I'd scored with five out of the next six and was feeling pretty good about myself.  But, you just never know, right?  At Oaklawn I was a distant seventh, then was ready to get back to the winner's circle at Laurel where Royal Seamstress was the prohibitive 3/5 favorite in an entry level allowance.  I debated upping the bet as I'd done in the NYRA opener, but after re-reading my analysis I decided to stick with the minimum play I'd planned originally.  Ran third - smart move to stick with the plan!  The fifth at Keeneland was a mid-level $32K claimer going nine furlongs.  There was some concern as to why trainer Chad Brown was dropping Systematic Change out of allowance races for a first time tag, especially this moderate.  Eight of his ten starts had been good ones and the other two were easily excused.  What I liked most was five of his last six were at this extended route trip, or longer and the rest of the field was unproven going this far.  Still, a bit uneasy about the precipitous drop, so in for the minimum.  Seemed like a good idea when approaching the far turn he was at the back of the pack!  Began picking off horses while circling the field three-wide through the turn.  Got to the front into the lane and ran away as easily best.  Back on the winning side!

The next bet on the sheet was in the very next race at Aqueduct, and it too was a MSW event.  But today was a special day in both Maryland and New York.  Why?  Because today marked the return of turf racing!  And despite it being a maiden event I thought this was a mere formality for Chad Brown's Grayosh to earn her diploma.  On debut at Gulfstream she was a good third while five clear of the field.  Sent off as the 8/5 favorite in her second start she tossed the rider.  This is significant in that at GP this winter Brown struggled from start to finish.  Here at Aqueduct he is winning at a 41% clip.  Looks MUCH the best on paper.  Sat an ideal trip in third saving ground to the top of the stretch.  Swung out into the open, collared the front runner and edged clear through the final furlong.

They had no longer crossed the finish line in New York than they were in the gate for the first stakes race of the day, the King Leatherbury at Laurel - on the turf going the abbreviated five and a half furlongs.  Witty was a deep closer which meant he'd need luck and a good pace to run at, but I thought he looked best, and he'd fired fresh before.  Was near the back to the turn, swung at least seven or eight wide, grinding away and was up in time.  An objection (note the rider checking over his shoulder) was quickly dismissed!

Now, after losing the first two I was sizzling with eight wins from the last ten picks.  Oh if only this could go on all day.  But no.  I went through a drought of eight losses - including a pair of seconds and a trio of thirds - before finally snapping out of it after an hour of not cashing bets.    And I did so with a change in selections!  The seventh at Aqueduct was a second level allowance and Chad Brown had not one but two long layoff runners making their comeback here.  I preferred Artorious who had earned three strong Beyers in his last four before the layoff and had been a just miss 2nd in an allowance where the winner exited to win the Grade 1 Jockey Club Gold Cup.  But when the betting opened he was an ice cold 7/1 and stablemate Blazing Sevens was getting hammered at the windows.  His last win had been as a 2yo in the Gr 1 Champagne and to his credit he'd been a just miss 2nd to National Treasure in the Gr 1 Preakness a year ago.  I looked at all the pools and debated if the crowd was right or was I.  I just had that feeling that "somebody knew something" so I switched the bet and went from a minimum play to a triple investment.  At the back of the compact five-horse field he rallied into the lane, was four wide turning for home and edged clear late, finishing just ahead of his stablemate at a big price!

The next was my BET of the Day in the Grade 3 Elkhorn going a mile and a half over the Keeneland turf.  I thought Bold Act was much MUCH the horse to beat and he went off at 1/2 odds.  But he could not run down his stablemate and settled for third.  Fortunately this race was one of three on the day that TwinSpires was offering a "Bet Back" promotion on and I "cashed" on all three of them!

The tenth at Laurel was the Federico Tesio going nine furlongs for three-year-olds.  This typically serves as the local prep for the Preakness.  As I looked over the field I thought "we won't be seeing the Preakness winner in here today" but I did think that Copper Tax looked strong enough, despite the wide 11 hole draw, to bet on.  Things did NOT start well as he not only broke a beat slowly but also broke outwardly spotting the field multiple lengths.  Made his way into contention in fourth on the far turn and then just seemed to be spinning his wheels.  But once the field turned for home he found new life and came flying home to be up in time at a generous 3/1 and change price.

As they crossed the wire in Maryland - watching on the computer because FanDuel had stopped broadcasting the races from here - they were hitting the first turn in the New York feature, the Danger's Hour on the grass.  Spirit of St. Louis was one of three Chad Brown runners in here and for me the question was, how would his big figure state-bred stakes efforts play against OPEN company here?  I liked that Manny Franco was on board.  And I thought it was a plus that he was making his first start since October because BOTH times he'd run fresh he'd won.  He was near the back approaching the far turn, then moved up between rivals.  Split runners to get outside and in the clear in the lane and drew off as much the best!

As a 3yo last spring I'd had Todd Pletcher's Kingsbarns when he won the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby.  And I'd made him my BEST Bet when he came off the layoff to run at Gulfstream.  That day he was a just up in time winner, but (a) the distance was not his best and (b) he looked to me like a horse prepping for a bigger race down the road.  THIS would be that race I thought.  In retrospect I probably could have gone in deeper but I've noticed that this spring I'm a little more conservative with my wagering as it seems like I'm playing more for the fun of playing than trying to have a big day of making money.  Tracked in fourth to the turn, moved in tandem with another runner into the stretch and then drew off as much the best!

Six of the next seven races on tap were "PASS" races for me, and towards the end of that streak I had picks in the two Oaklawn stakes.  Ran 2nd in both (one a JUST MISS when almost lasting to the wire), but both of these were the other two "Bet Back" races on the day so I still "cashed."  I actually had the thought when I handicapped the short field of Santa Anita's Grade 2 Californian, that this was just the kind of race Bob Baffert would win and pay a big price leading everyone to shake their head.  So why wasn't his horse the bet?  Because Judge Miller was CLEARLY the obvious short priced favorite and looked loose on the lead.  He was to both of those, but in a scratch reduced field of four he turned for home clear, only to be run by late by the Baffert horse who truly didn't figure, except it was Bob Baffert, and the winner paid $9 and change while I settled for second.  The final race on my card was the Grade 3 La Providenica for 3yo's going nine furlongs on the turf.  Unbeaten Medoro was my Santa Anita Bet of the Day.  And was the DRF's Brad Free's Best Bet.  Had trouble in and among horses through the first furlong but by the time they hit the first turn she was in the clear pressing the 7/1 front runner.  Spinning out of the turn she looked like she was gliding to the front to take charge, but she only got her head in front and the long-time leader said "uh huh, not passing me!" and the duel was on.  Got a nose in front with 100 yards to go, but the inside price play came back....PHOTO FINISH!

I was "pretty sure" from all the slow motion replays I had it but I was certainly relieved when the numbers went up and I had the winning ticket!  With that race the day ended, and over the span of the last nine races, following the losing skid, I cashed on eight of the nine.  Still I thought as the day wound down that this skid probably cost me a good winning percentage and a profitable day.  Oh not so fast Webby!  Ran the numbers and they came out:
30 / 13 - 6 - 6
43.3% WINS  /  $2.23 ROI

Not only a strong winning percentage, but also a profit on the day!  But wait, the story of the weekend isn't over yet - Sunday was the first game of our Panthers Playoffs journey with a 12:30 puck drop.  So Kim and I left the house about 11:20 am and arrived smoothly.  The pics below show how we and the place were dressed up for the playoffs!  And it was an exciting game that saw us take down our hated arch rivals 3-2.  It actually wasn't that close in the end as we were ahead 3-1 with nine seconds left when they scored to given themselves a "maybe we have a chance" last gasp....but no.  :)









Social Media this week.....

It was a BIG week for connecting with my friend Lauren Pastrana - the most I've ever had contact with her in a week, a full dozen times :)  Started Monday when I messaged her in the morning about looking forward to her piece on the constitutional amendment re: abortion rights and shared our 9th day of the trip.  Then following her piece that night - laid out so simply and easy to understand I complimented her and she answered me back.



Lauren liked my next day morning message about the end of the cruise - but not the adventure.  That evening as I was watching Lauren deliver the news I was just struck by how trim she looks.  Reminds me of how Kim has re-shaped her body with her diet.  And then I remembered Lauren talking about her marathons and training for them.  I thought to myself that everyone, especially girls, like to know that people notice when they have achieved results with weight loss and trying to look "better."  She's always been attractive, I've thought and I told her this when I told her it might just be me but that she looked trimmer and more fit.  That was - as you can see - at 6:10 during her live broadcast.  Three minutes later she answered me and when I replied back, she replied right back about working out while listening to books on tape.




That night - Tuesday - was the hockey game where our Panthers clinched the divisional title, so I sent the pic of the scoreboard to her and she "liked" it.

Wednesday I went on a "marathon" walk of my own and when I got back I sent the screen shot of my long adventure to Lauren.  About ten minutes later she liked my efforts and gave me a "thumbs up" emoji.

Thursday morning was the final preview from our trip and I sent Lauren two messages.  The first message I remarked how much we enjoyed the 5pm news and the fact that she and the team were NOT on yesterday because of soccer made me realize how much I look forward to inviting them into our living room each evening.  Then I remarked that she seemed to like the previews and unless she told me not to, I'd send her daily pics from the trip.  I got back a "heart" (like) to that.....  The second message was the final preview.  Lauren replied that (a) they'd be back on at 5pm that night and then said "your trip looks incredible!"  I'll take that as a message that she would like the daily updates while we are gone.  And at 5 when she was on the air I sent her a message and a pic I got another "Like" right away!




Friday found Lauren in a "Panthers Red" outfit and so I sent her a message that we were enjoying the color scheme tonight.  I then sent her a private message with the luggage tag arrival and Lauren liked that message on Instagram


I worked with Jennifer for several years and it's been multiple years that we've "planned" on her being my "full time track assistant" and all the jobs that would fall under that title.  This week we were chatting about how much longer she would work.  And at the end of the texting I said we needed to get together for wine and sharing stories.  Pleased by her enthusiastic reply!
While Chloe and I have been social media pals for a while, we began our "relationship" when she was just s sophomore where I was teaching and her Dad was the Asst. Principal.  We have become even closer through social media and when we "hooked up" at the Florida Derby - with her parents - she gave me her phone number and said, "You can text me anytime!"  So I have.  Well this week was our six year "anniversary" of being FB pals.  So I reached out to her and she replied.

Truly of all my former students I miss Kimmy the most.  And I'm sure that's because for years once she became an "adult / working girl" we'd hook up at Gulfstream at least a couple times a year.  And it was then she insisted she WANTED to text with me, and told me if she didn't respond to keep messaging her.  So now it's two or three times a month I reach out to her and her family just to keep in touch.  The first time we "got together" this week she apologized (which she never needs to do) because she was in Amsterdam (for work I'm sure).  She seemed genuinely excited for our upcoming trip.  Then later in the week I sent her the photo I'd posted of our final documents and luggage tags arriving.  That too excited her.  I asked her - even though I was pretty sure of the answer I'd get, but still.....she's a working Mom with a family so I don't want to overstep - if she wanted me to send her pics from the trip.  Brought a big smile to my face when she replied "Of course!  Please do!"



When we met Petra on board the Viking Osiris, she and I instantly connected.  And when she agreed to help me with the intro to my video on the top deck it was such a bonding moment.  I'll always treasure the hug she gave me and said "I don't want to say good-bye."  We became FB friends and for nearly a month we would "talk" nearly every day via messenger.  But she's become more busy and it's often long stretches of time between communications.  Early the the week she apparently got online and saw several of my messages to her and she "heart-ed" them all.  Then late in the week we had a "long" conversation of messages.  Always good to talk with our girl.

I've been disappointed that I can't find a way to communicate more with my gal-pal Karli the former weekend anchor for CBS-Miami, but I do know she "sees" me with posts like this where I respond to her social media pics.

My friend Mishelle has truly been happy as evidenced in her many photos with her new man Jeff.  The latest showed them all smiles and her "pretty in pink."



No comments:

Post a Comment