Sunday, June 21, 2020

Belmont Stakes Week

June 17 - 21:  Let The Triple Crown Begin!

It was an interesting week of handicapping, but certainly, CERTAINLY the highlight of the week was the big day Saturday as the Triple Crown kicked off.  And with the pandemic created chaos in every aspect of life, this year the Belmont would be run at nine furlongs and be the FIRST leg of the Triple Crown rather than the final leg.  The "most interesting" take from the week as a whole was the up-and-down nature of the results, but note at the end of the week (as always) I hit my regular numbers:

Let's see how the week played out......

Wednesday June 17
Today I didn't like the looks of the Gulfstream card, especially with so many turf races and lots of rain in the area.  I looked around and found that both Delaware - which was opening today (and WITH fans allowed on site) and Canterbury (also allowing fans, limited to specific players) both had stakes races today.  So I decided to play them both.  Was 4th as the 3/2 favorite in the opener at Delaware, passed the second, then in the third I went wire to photo finish in the third with LaBabia.....

WIN!  OK, here we go for the week.  But that was it.  Short priced favorites couldn't get it done (5th at even money in the 7th, 3rd at 4/5 in the featured Obeah Stakes, and 2nd at 1/9 in the first of the Canterbury stakes).  A very disappointing start to the week.

Thursday June 18
Today I only played the Belmont card and how ironic how the results turned out compared to yesterday.  I was sixth at 3/1 in the Thursday opener at New York and I have to admit the thought of "here we go again, just like yesterday" ran through my mind.  But in the 2nd I liked Invest in a non-winners of two lifetime going a one-turn mile.  It was a lot like the analysis for race on - IF he ran back to his best races, Invest would wire the field.  If he didn't like the pick in the opener, he'd be a vulnerable pick.  Right to the front, set wicked splits and held on to score as the prohibitive 3/5 favorite.

Passed the third and fourth.  The fifth was a 7 furlong turf event for non-winners of three lifetime.  The only time Shiraz had run in a restricted race it was washed off to the main track, so I felt confident in tossing that one.  TWICE in her past performances she'd run well at this unique, elongated turf sprint distance - a sharp runner-up effort in a second level allowance and a close third in an open entry level allowance.  Big numbers, a good post and experience at the trip.  Duh.  Pressed the leader into the turn and took over willingly.  A late closer made a belated run but it was far too late.

I'd tripled the bet so I cashed for over $40 on my second win of the day.  Didn't like anything in the sixth.  The seventh was a second level allowance going a one-turn mile and a sixteenth on the main track.  It's All Relevant had already won a second level allowance so he was running for the required $62.5K tag.  Got a weight break with the bug boy up who'd been on board for the most recent win going a one-turn nine furlongs.  Right to the front as the 7/5 favorite and drew off in near course record time.

Three for four heading into the featured 9th, the Critical Eye Stakes after passing again in the eighth.  After scanning the field's past performances it seemed very obvious - to me at least - that the winner would be one of the two favorites.  Either Chad Brown's improving filly More Mischief or Graham Motion's established runner Ratajowski.  And it was the latter that looked difficult to go past.  She had won at four different distances, had a stakes win in a spot like this, was dropping out of a pace-setting fourth in a Grade 2 around two turns to cut back to today's one-turn mile and MOST especially was 4/3-0-1 here at Belmont.  Right to the front and dueled with the even money favorite through every quick splits.  But opened up into the lane then led off the closer who came too little too late.

FOUR - for - FIVE on the day and more than $50 profit.  Now THAT is more like it.

Friday June 19
It was "Belmont Eve" and I played Churchill Downs and Gulfstream Park today.  And as the day opened I thought to myself, "now we're rolling..." because the first race at Gulfstream was an off-the-turf sprint and Dark Ages was my main track selection.  He was 2/1 as they loaded into the gate, but was 1/1 as he crossed the wire.  Patiently handled in fifth, ridden confidently by Paco Lopez blew by in the stretch.  Only had the minimum wager on board.

Passed the next two, then in the fourth I thought the two favorites would decide it.  I liked USS Colton who'd been on the front end, dueling in fast fractions vs. better last time.  Right to the front, wire to wire comfortably.

Doubled the bet and cashed for nearly $30.  But that was it for the day - two second place finishes through the final eight picks on the day.  Sigh.....

Saturday June 20:  Belmont Stakes Day
I considered originally playing several different tracks, but Belmont had such a big card and I had quite a few selections that I limited my play today to four racing venues:  Belmont, Churchill, Santa Anita, and Woodbine.  Because Kim was out of town (left yesterday morning for ten days) I was happy to have racing from before noon until after 9 pm!  I missed in the first pick of the day, the Gr 1 Woody Stephens.  Went back and forth between my pick and No Parole.  No Parole was going to be in front but he was really stepping up in class and I thought there was other pace.  Nope, no one went with him and he wired the field at 3/1.  In the third at Belmont everyone remarked that the top two favorites - both 3yo fillies - were bound for graded stakes as they were ultra-talented.  And everyone seemed to believe as I did that Indian Pride looked much more primed for a big effort today for Chad Brown while Mrs. Danvers would probably need one.  Indian Pride dueled to the top of the stretch then took over willingly and ran away as much the best.

Came right back and picked up my only win of the day at Woodbine when Pink Lemonade wired the field as much the best.  Up next was the Grade 2 Pennine Ridge at Belmont which featured Decorated Invader.  He'd just missed in his 2yo debut, then won for fun.  In his first try vs. winners he won the Grade 1 Summer at Woodbine.  Had a miserable trip in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, then came back to begin his 3yo year to close down the Cutler Bay Stakes on Florida Derby Day from well off the pace as MUCH the best.  My only question today was would he get the pace to run into?  Jockey Joel Rosario placed him up close in third on the rail and as they came out of the far turn he was pinned along the rail, but Joel asked and Decorated Invader bulled his way through the narrow opening.  Got to the front and once clear he accelerated to win impressively.

I'd tripled the bet and was now on a three race winning streak.  But that came to a skidding stop as I ran 10th and 6th with my next two before getting third at Churchill.  Then another dull effort when fifth at 8/5 at Woodbine.  Next up was the fifth at Churchill where I had a minimum bet on Diamond Crazy.  Sent off as the 9/5 favorite he was taken near the back to the top of the stretch.  Tried to find room, blocked.....found a seam, shut off.  Shifted back inside, got room, split horses and in the final 100 yards got clear sailing and he drew off for fun.

The Grade 3 Wonder Again going a mile on the turf at Belmont was next.  Todd Pletcher's Sweet Melania looked very strong to me.  The concern was, if as a front runner she was forced to go too fast and/or duel.  But in here she looked loose on a lonely lead.  Sure enough, right to the front in control by about a length to the top of the lane.  It appeared to me that jockey Jose Ortiz had a ton of horse underneath him and as her head straightened for home he asked for run.  The response was immediate and she accelerated away to draw off as MUCH the best.

Cashed for nearly $25 on my fifth winner of the day and second graded stakes win of the afternoon.  Churchill Downs had two stakes events on their program and the first one was up next, the Audubon Stakes for 3yo going a mile and an eighth on the turf.  I liked Field Pass in here while acknowledging that the field was wide open.  What was puzzling was the pace flow.  But I felt like Field Pass would be up close today.  He'd been well back last time out for the first time in many starts last time out when he had a two race winning streak - in stakes - snapped.  Tyler Gaffalione surely could read the Form the way I was, right?  Indeed.  Right to the front and never looked back drawing off as an easy winner.

Cashed for $25.  Next was the first from Santa Anita.  It's not uncommon, but it's not typical either that a race/win unfolds like this one did.  Last time out in a Maiden Special turf sprint like this, Count Alexi went right to the front, opened up and was clear into the lane.  Today she was coming back after being caught late as Brad Free's BEST BET.  I typically do NOT like to go against Mr. Free.  But in that race Utalknboutpractice was more than 20/1 and walked out of the gate.  But then he came flying to be fourth of ten beaten less than three lengths.  Top rider Flavian Prat was taking over and I saw her as sitting just off the lead and running by late for a barn that wins with 2nd time starters at a 27% clip.  Right out of the gate Count Alexi broke sharply as did Utalknboutpractice.  But Prat let her go and immediately she was daylight in front!  WHAT??!!!  Never looked back as much the best.

Missed at Woodbine before coming right back to So Cal where they had two stakes events, and the first of them was the Grade 3 Wilshire in the 2nd race.  This one mile turf looked to be a difficult task to separate Toinette and Keeper Ofthe Stars with the latter having recency over the former.  But Toinette was a perfect 4-for-4 at Santa Anita, 4-for-5 at the distance and had Flavian Pratt.  And while 'Stars looked good, her two recent wins in graded stakes had come at 36/1 and 7/1.  Outran her odds?  I went with Toinette as did the crowd.  Tracked a longshot to the top of the lane and took off while 'Stars struggled to keep up.  Toinette drew of in a zip code all to herself.

Collected over $25 on my fourth stakes winner of the day.  Today I had two BIG TIME bets and the first of which came in the 8th at Belmont, the Grade 1 Acorn for 3yo fillies.  On March 7th - the last time I was actually able to go to the track, I'd seen something I'd never witnessed before.  In the program at Santa Anita a horse was 3/5 as a first-time starting maiden.  YOWZA.  Gamine had been a $1.8 Million sales grad and was blistering the track in the morning.  She blitzed the competition as much the best.  She showed up next time out in an allowance at Oaklawn going a mile and a sixteenth and her main rival today was a proven stakes runner.  Shipping and two turns for the first time, she set out on the lead, was challenged but repelled that filly to hold on gamely.  You COULD have looked at that and said she didn't want a distance of ground.  I however felt like this was the kind of race that would move her forward and today's one-turn mile seemed idea.  Right to the front under Hall of Fame rider John Velazquez she seemed to go too fast when the opening half mile stopped the clock at :45 and change.  But as they turned for home she accelerated to a double-digit length lead and drew off with each and every stride.

Geared down in the final 16th as she crossed the wire announcer John Imbriale called out she was FIFTEEN clear of the field.  Then noted it was the FASTEST running of the Acorn since it's inception in 1931, and the biggest margin of victory.  This filly is ultra special.  There was even a little chatter following the race that MAYBE she'd be seen on the first Saturday in September in the Kentucky Derby rather on Friday in the Kentucky Oaks.  "Prime Time" play got me back nearly $35.

Missed at Woodbine, again.  In the 8th at Churchill it was a maiden special going a one-turn mile and I really thought Chad Brown's Union Maiden would show dramatic improvement here.  Debuted at 4/5 at Gulfstream and hit the gate while away last under Javier Castellano.  Hmmmm.  Off for three months he was AGAIN away at the back (10th of 12) under Castellano and closed.  With new rider Tyler Gaffalione sure to get him out better I thought the added ground would play well.  Tracked the leaders up close in third - good job Tyler G - made his move at the top of the lane.  Dueled, JUST up in a three-way photo finish.

Missed with enigmatic Hidden Scroll in the Grade 1 Jaipur, a six furlong turf sprint at Belmont, then off to Louisville for their featured Grade 2 Wise Dan at a mile and a sixteenth.  And in here I looked, I really did for someone to beat the favorite.  But simply put no one in the line-up looked to be able to put pressure on the favorite Factor This.  And if he was loose, as he was last time out wiring a stakes field, he'd be tough to beat.  Ironically from the get go he was under pressure today.  But once he put away the early challengers, in the final 16th of a mile he would NOT let anyone by and he won in a gutsy effort as the even money favorite.

Missed at Woodbine, yet again.  And now it was finally time for the Grade 1 Belmont and the beginning of the 2020 Triple Crown.  I'd seen Tiz the Law run in Gulfstream's Grade 2 Holy Bull and thought that day that maybe I'd just seen the Kentucky Derby winner.  I thought also he was a play against in the Florida Derby because he was skipping the Fountain of Youth and thought that with enough points to make the Derby the Florida Derby wouldn't be a "full out must win" kind of effort.  So I went against him there and he was ULTRA impressive that day.  With the changes in schedules and the three-year-old contingent heading to the Triple Crown I thought before looking at the pp's he would be best here.  Looked carefully at the field and no one, and I mean NO ONE was good enough to beat him.  I told Jeff (who was driving from California to Floria) and my buddy Jeff Nelson who both asked via text that I'd looked and someone else COULD win because it was horse racing.  But there wasn't anyone in here you could make a case for, at all.  My son Jeff and his buddy from Kansas, David Beatty both had me place a big bet on him.  Mr. Nelson - always looking for a price - asked me, who did I like second best.  Again, I told him.  No one.  It's Tiz the Law, period.  And told him that one was my BET of the Day.  He sent me money and had me go $50 across the board on a 25/1 runner.  I asked him if he had a "reason?" He said his golf swing is always left, so he wanted to bet "Fore Left."  OK, it's your money I said.  That one pressed the second choice Tap It To Win to the top of the stretch but then Tiz the Law took over willingly and ran away as TONS the best.  He's clearly the top three-year-old in the country at this point.

Tiz the Law's Belmont win led to a collection of over $50 and was my 7th stakes win of the day, my 12th winner overall.  I'm having a great day.  I briefly thought about passing on the late Santa Anita races.....how many more could I win?  But then I decided, no....I handicapped the races, I'm betting them.  Really thought Digital Age for Chad Brown would win the 11th, an allowance at Belmont but was pace compromised off the layoff and was a good second.  In the seventh at Santa Anita, stakes winner Ax Man was coming back for Bob Baffert after dueling in a sprint stake to this route allowance.  Looked like the speed of the race.  Led into the lane, was collared by the second choice who put his head in front with a sixteenth to go but Mike Smith and Ax Man would not surrender.  Came back....PHOTO FINISH....

Got the nose down first....whooo hoooo.  In the eighth at Santa Anita at first I didn't have a solid opinion.  But DRF analyst Brad Free pointed out that last time out when Brickyard Ride won on the main track, his half mile split of :43.4 was the fastest half mile in a 6f sprint in five years at Santa Anita.  Looked loose on the lead and long gone.  Sure enough, burst out of the gate and was long, long gone, sizzling the opening half mile in :44 and change then holding the field safely at bay late.

The ninth was the featured Grade 3 Laz Barrera for three-year-olds going six and a half furlongs.  And as I said in my analysis, you could make the case that Bob Baffert's speedy Ragtime Blues MIGHT wire the field, but I thought Collusion Illusion would run him down and be very tough to deny today.  The race played out the way I thought, but when they turned for home Ragtime Blues was on an open lead and cruising.  But then Flavian Prat asked Collusion Illusion to run and in a matter of a 16th of a mile he'd collared the leader and then ran away like like that one was tied to the rail.  BIG time win - the announcer commented, "he's a SERIOUS race horse."

That was my EIGHTH stakes win today.  WOW.  The race left the gate at about 7:30 and my last bet wasn't until  a little after 9 pm so I went into the living room and continued re-watching the Jennifer Garner series, "Alias" for an hour before watching the replay of the finale from So Cal.

The 12th was a starter optional claimer and I really didn't have high expectations - not because I didn't think my selection of Shadow Sphinx wouldn't win.  But honestly, I'd won 15 of 25 races today.  Come on... get real.  But nope.  Shadow Sphinx was a tepid 9/5 favorite under Flavian Prat; sat just off the leader until they turned for home then took off and won as easy as you please.

For the day.....

Belmont Stakes Day Highlights


Just an amazing day.

Sunday June 21
Well you had to figure that the numbers would "balance out" but even I didn't figure to go 0-for-14 to start the day.  The lone win came in the final play of the day (good for me to "keep firing!") when Bob Baffert's first time starter, Provocation was tons, TONS the best.  The $350K daughter of Into Mischief had been entered for a STAKES RACE last week - as a first time starter.  WOW, Baffert must be really high on her.  And she went right to the front, opened up by daylight.  Mike Smith never moved a muscle as she aired by nearly a pole.  BIG TIME future.

So ended the week.  I'll take a 36% week any day of the week.  Of course I loved Saturday and if it came at the expense of the "slow days" then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment