Friday, April 15, 2016

April 14th - Appalachian Stakes Day

Another WINNING Day!
BET of the Day ROLLS HOME!

After thinking that the big race of the week was on Wednesday I actually got to see, bet, and WIN that race today!  WHOOOO HOOOO!  I thought I was going to start off the day with another win in another "baby race" where trainer Wes Ward had an uncoupled entry.  I really liked the program favorite but when I logged on to Keeneland's website I discovered that filly had scratched.  Now what to do?  I had not disliked the other Ward filly and she had been working sharply for her debut.  But, I just had this nagging feeling that I had not picked her straight up and I'd be better off to pass the race.  When she was being hammered at the windows I considered betting anyway, but resisted.  She went wire to wire.  Hmmmm, mixed feelings about how I felt about that. 

In the 3rd it was an entry level allowance sprinting on the turf.  Analyst Mike Battaglia said it would be very difficult to beat Todd Pletcher's runner in here, but I thought I had the answer at a fair price in Glass House who drew the rail.  She'd broken her maiden in a THIRTY-horse field in Europe, yes 30.  Then had come back to be third in a stakes "across the pond."  The winner that day was Hit It a Bomb who was my pick in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf, and he won at a $17 payoff.  Glass House looked well-spotted to me.  But when the gates opened he was off slowly and quickly spotted the field half a dozen lengths.  He rallied on the turn but was spun at least eight-wide into the stretch.  A strong third behind the Pletcher favorite, but beaten less than two lengths.  A clean trip and I'd have won.  In the second at Oaklawn Mr. Fuzzybottom looked best and opened up by daylight at the furlong pole......only to be nailed on the final jump, second.  Sigh......Then in the third at Oaklawn Sister Ceari was the prohibitive 3/5 favorite - rallied, and hung - fourth.  Finally at Keeneland it was a non-winners of two allowance going the marathon distance of a mile and a half.  I liked Tweet Kitten who had all the right connections:  owners Ken & Sarah Ramsey, trainer Chad Brown, and jockey Javier Castellano.  I was intrigued when Battaglia said he was picking a horse that he was part owner of - O'Prado Ole - and that the colt had disliked the wet ground last time out.  He thought he'd run big today.  As they hit the far turn Battaglia's colt was clear on the lead but Tweet Kitten was picking off horses three wide through the turn.  As they hit the top of the lane O'Prado spurted loose again and it looked to be all over but inside the final 16th Tweet Kitten found another gear and they hit the wire in a blur together - PHOTO FINISH!  Check out the official photo at left - that's Tweet Kitten in the Ramsey red & white silks on the outside!  WHOOOO HOOOO! 

I'm a winner!  The double investment got me nearly $20 back.  Next up, finally, was the race I'd been waiting for, the Grade 3 Appalachian Stakes for 3yo fillies on the grass.  Catch A Glimpse had won a graded stakes at Woodbine on the day Jim Anderson and I arrived there on Woodbine Mile weekend; then came right back to win the Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Filly Turf, here.  She made her 2016 debut at Gulfstream in the Grade 3 Herecomesthebride on the Fountain of Youth undercard and she'd looked dazzling that day.  She looked much the best here.  Earlier today I texted with Jim, who's become quite the online player these days, and told him that Catch A Glimpse was running and was my bet of the day.  He responded he'd already bet her in a couple of trifectas and straight up.  No gimmick wagers for me, I pounded her.  She got exactly the trip I anticipated, stalked to other speed types to the turn and then took off in full flight for the wire.  The second betting choice (at 6/1) with Castellano was making a legitimate rally but there was no catching my top selection. 

I was cashing for $80 on the big bet and I'm even for the day with two races to go.  Those two races were at Oaklawn and I split them.  Cced won an entry level allowance as the 3/5 favorite and then Haveyougoneaway was upset in the featured Carousel stakes when 2nd at 4/5.  For the day I was 3-for-7, over 40% and had a straight bet profit for the afternoon!  HORRAY! 

Have to mention that tonight was the opening of the long-awaited Stanley Cup playoffs with our Panthers hosting the New York Islanders.  I was so very disappointed when we gave up the lead not once but three times and lost 5-4 in a very entertaining game, but a loss none the less.  Right back on the ice tomorrow however!

No comments:

Post a Comment