Sunday, July 17, 2016

July 16

Delaware Handicap Day

Today's big feature race on the national calendar is the Grade 1 Delaware Handicap for 3yo fillies going a mile and a quarter.  I had seriously looked into flying up to Delaware for the weekend, and had even looked at it seriously a second time for a summer weekend racing adventure for my good buddy Keith and I to meet here.  But in the end I opted to come to Orlando for the shower weekend.  While the ladies were at the pool most of the afternoon I was "at the races" virtually via my Xpressbet account.  I had selections today from Monmouth as per usual, Delaware because of their featured event and supporting stakes, and I had handicapped both the Del Mar card and Indiana Grand where they were running the companion Grade 2 races, the Indiana Oaks and Indiana Derby.  The day started slowly as I was third in back-to-back races on the Shore.  The first with a huge price of 14/1 on All Even and then as the even-money favorite in a maiden claiming turf mile race.  At Delaware I was a non-threatening fifth at 8/5 and then I had an hour and a half before the next race.  Brad and I watched a movie while the girls were at the pool and then I was back in action a little before 4 pm.  I was happy to get into the winner's circle with the 1/2 favorite Noble Ready in the sixth at Delaware.  It was of interest that this was a TWO-YEAR-OLD turf route - the first I'd seen this summer.  Trained by Christophe Clement, Noble Beauty had been a best-of-the-rest second in her six-furlong turf debut at Belmont.  With Clement having two in here, it would seem that Joel Rosario, who has ridden over 125 times for Clement, would have had his pick of the two and he was on the favorite.  Right to the front and GONE.  I missed in the 7th at Monmouth when Shea D Girl was an even fourth in a turf sprint for a tag at even money.  But in the 8th at Monmouth I decided to up the ante on Sue Stones.  I had noted in my analysis that she would certainly be overbet with Paco Lopez taking over and the class move.  I was concerned about her making her ninth start, but the money came pouring in and she was hammered to 3/5 favoritism.  I upped to bet to make her a "prime time" / "best of the day" on the Shore.  She dueled between horses and I was concerned that she'd give way yet again, but the top rider would have none of that and he got her home as much the best!  

Cashed for over $30 with my second winner on the day.  Moments later it was time for the 8th at Delaware and my top choice, Catcha Rising Star was being strongly bet - down from 7/2 in the program to 3/5 favoritism at post time.  This was particularly significant in this nw3x allowance spot because she'd only been on the turf twice WITHOUT winning, but to be fair with very strong Beyers.  And today she was facing multiple turf winners.  The "unwritten rule" is often, "turf winners win turf races" and so my plan had been to bet the minimum.  But with the strong support at the windows I doubled the play.  Wire to wire as much the best.  It was approaching five pm and we planned to head out to dinner at a nice Orlando restaurant, but I had asked the family if we could wait until the next after the next race as it was my BET of the DAY, and the featured Grade 1 Delaware Handicap.  I had won with multiple graded stakes winning I'm A Chatterbox in the prep for this, the Obeah Stakes and some people had expressed some concern about her slow come-home time considering today she would be stretching out to the classic mile & a quarter distance.  But, her regular rider, top national jock Florent Geroux (who had NOT been on board that day but had come to town for today) had been quoted by trainer Larry Jones to "not worry" because she tends to lose focus if all alone through the lane.  The only filly in here that I thought might provide some competition was Paid Up Subscriber who was coming off a 6/1 upset of the Grade 2 Fleur de Lis at Churchill Downs.  As the betting opened Chatterbox was a prohibitive 1/9.  But as we got within ten minutes of post time she'd floated up to a "fair" 1/5 price.  But then 'Subscriber started taking support from those "value" players who thought I'm A Chatterbox was not a good bet at this short price.  I have often written about my thoughts on this that I do subscribe to the theory of NOT betting the most likely winner because of the price.  I only bet when I think I have a decided edge and if it's the winner, it's the winner.  But there are many out there that do not do that and I am often thankful for their money :)  As the fillies approached the gate I was stunned to see 'Subscriber drop to 2/1 and 'Chatterbox go up another click to 2/5.  This is highway robbery!  Then as the final filly loaded the odds clicked one more time and now 'Subscriber was 9/5!  WHAT THE????? And I'm A Chatterbox was an overinflated 3/5.  The gates opened and immediately the favorite veered in towards the opening onto the main track from the 10 furlong chute.  To be fair she pushed the #3 runner inward and the #2 got squeezed as the #1, Paid Up Subscriber, came out and then took a pretty good shot to her hip.  But also, if you watch the head-on view it was not nearly as bad as it looked.  The #3 never had her stride broken and the #1 was hindered for perhaps a stride and as they straightened out she was in front of Chatterbox by a length or two as they moved through the stretch for the first time.  The only one who may have been compromised was the #2 who was 70/1 and never a factor.  They all had a fair chance to run their race and the two most impacted were already in front of the favorite.  I was watching with my son Brad who immediately said "hey that's not right" - and I knew that this could lead to an inquiry.  As they hit the far turn I'm A Chatterbox was full of run but Geroux was not letting her run yet as she pressed the leader.  When he let loose she exploded to a lead of nearly a half dozen lengths.  Paid Up Subscriber improved her position to be a best-of-the-rest 2nd but never a threat.  As Chatterbox returned to the winner's circle Geroux and all the connections were all smiles but NOW the rider of 'Subscriber lodged an official objection.  I took it as a good sign that there was never an INQUIRY posted, but took it as worrisome when the stewards continued looking at multiple views of the start over and over again.  Finally, "Ladies and Gentlemen.......the stewards have ruled.....there will be no change in the order and the result stands official.  

WHOOOOO HOOOOOO!  In what should have been a meager payoff/profit I was not collecting $80 and profiting a big $30.  On a multiple graded stakes winner for a 40% trainer in a short six horse field.  AMAZING - how about THAT for value?  :))))))  As the officials reviewed the video at Delaware the 2nd went off at Del Mar and my top choice, Passionate Emotion slipped up the rail and drew off as much the best!  I took a quick shower and we headed out to dinner.  Our daughter-in-law who is oh-so-pregnant met some girlfriends in town for the baby shower tomorrow so she did not come along as Kim and I took out our son Brad, daughter Julie, and our friend Karen Martin who came with us to go to the shower for Lauren.  


Once we got back to the house we watched a movie and then I went with my daughter Julie to stay at her apartment for the evening.  Once we arrived I settled in and watched the remainder of my races.  The first race I had on my selection sheet was the co-featured Grade 3 Kent Stakes for 3yo colts at Delaware.  Top North American trainer Todd Pletcher was showing great confidence in sending the improving American Patriot into this graded stakes off a last-out win in entry-level allowance company - especially after showing next to nothing in the Grade 2 American Turf at CD back on the Derby undercard.  I liked his chances at 6/1 in the program.  As I opened up the replay I noted he was the 8/5 favorite of the crowd.  He was handled expertly as he stalked the pace while saving ground on the rail.  As heads turned for home he eased off the rail and outside the leader then cut loose with an explosive kick to win.  As soon as they crossed the wire the track announcer told everyone that American Patriot had just set a new stakes record!  

Would have loved to have even had half the program odds, but still I cashed for nearly $30 with my sixth win of the day.  But a series of disappointments followed.  At Del Mar She's A Big Winner at a nice 9/2 was a no-show 8th as Brad Free's Best Bet; in the Indiana Distaff prohibitive favorite Cash Control was 2nd at 4/5.  This in a race where TWO of the last 233 starts run by her rivals could match the last two Beyers she'd earned, one of them in a Grade 3 win!  Sigh.....Missed at Indiana two more times in the Warrior Veterans Stakes and again in the MH George when both were well beaten.  In the Grade 2 Yellow Ribbon at Del Mar Nancy from Nairobi was a rallying third, too late from too far back.  I got my final score of the day in the Grade 2 Indiana Oaks when Family Tree rebounded to score as the 7/5 favorite.  Much like the Cash Control race, of the 48 races run by her rivals tonight, only one could challenge her LAST THREE BEYER figures.  She stalked into the lane and drew off as the decisive winner.  

In the final race of the day I went against the favorite, my second choice, Cupid who had disappointed in the listed Easy Goer on the Belmont undercard and went with improving The Player.  He was FLYING late and just missed at 4/1 - to Cupid!  For the day an outstanding 7-for-17, a whopping 41% winners.  But I just missed breaking even - the Cash Control race or the Indiana Derby, either one wins and I'm a winner for the day......such is the racing game, gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment