Friday, September 2, 2016

September 1

A Big Night In Erie!

The next adventure on my docket of travels is for Kim and I to visit Erie, Pa. - which just happens to be where her family is, what a conicidency! - where I have been wanting to attend the Grade 3 PID Masters Stakes for several years.  This race has consistently produced either the Breeders' Cup winner or a strong candidate each year for several years including multiple BC Filly & Mare Sprint Queen Groupie Doll (who's photo hangs on my "Wall of Fame.")  With that in mind I've begun to try and play Presque Isle during the month of August on several occasions to get "a feel" for the track and how it's playing.  I've had some success and I am looking forward to that big weekend of racing, which coincides with Woodbine Mile Day where champion Tepin will take on the boys in that featured Grade 1 event!  At any rate, I had the time on Wednesday so I decided to take a look at the PID past performances for Thursday.  Lo and behold in the eight races on the card I found not only five races I liked, but five races where I really liked someone.  And so I decided to play.  In the opener it was a maiden claiming sprint going 5 1/2 furlongs.  In five of the six starts listed in the pps for I Didn't Take It he'd earned a figure between 32 and 39.  One other number was a field-best 47.  Obviously not Breeders' Cup-like numbers but these would beat the rivals in here.  It was significant that those Beyers were earned in MSW company and today was only the second time this 3yo filly would run for a tag.  She pressed the pace to the turn then took over and was clear to the wire as the 4/5 favorite and I was off to a good start!  WHOOOO HOOOOO!  

I passed the second, which produced a longshot winner!  In the third it appeared that there would be several who would contest the early pace and set the table for a closer.  But I thought that Lady Lohr on the rail was the quickest of the quick and would wire the field.  She was sent off as the even-money favorite, but when the gates opened she hesitated and was quickly third.  The rider didn't panic, allowed her to settle and glided her to the outside for clear run.  She pressed the pace to midway on the turn and then ran away to win.  The announcer told the crowd as she walked into the winner's circle that this was the 17th career win here at Presque Isle for Lady Lohr making her the all-time winningest thoroughbred at the Erie track!  

I suffered a disappointing loss in the 4th when Sally Oh Sally, who I'd bet on two weeks ago seemed in hand and ready to run away on the turn, but when asked in the stretch hung and ran evenly to the wire at 6/5 when third.  No bet in the fifth....the sixth was a nw2x allowance going six furlongs and Blake's Magic was facing off with Candid Cathy who was a perfect 4-for-4 at Presque Isle.  On the rail she looked to be the pace setter and could easily steal it.  BUT.....I thought that tonight's distance - the first time Cathy had gone beyond 5 1/2 furlongs - and the fact that all of her races had been vs. state-breds and this was an OPEN allowance, all made her vulnerable.  Blake's Magic broke sharply and was stalking the speedster on the lead, but wait a tic, that's not Cathy!  No, Cathy broke slowly and was forced to rally from off the pace.  Kudos to her for making a race of it late - it was officially a PHOTO FINISH - but Blake's Magic was my third winner of the night!  

The last bet of the night for me was my BET of the Day at PID.  It was a Maiden Special going a mile-70 and I thought that despite the fact that Graham Motion's Flower Valley had twice lost for a tag already she would be much, MUCH the best in here.  All four times she'd run had been long on the turf with two second place finishes and a third.  She had suffered a troubled trip at Parx last time out AND was chasing a very slow pace.  With top rider Antonio Gallardo up and the move to PID I thought she'd be LONG gone.  She was hammered early to 1/5 but floated up to a fair 1/2 post time favoritism.  She was well in had as she tracked the leaders in fourth to the far turn.  When asked she responded willingly and took off as easily best.  The $3.60 payoff generated a return of nearly $40 and for the night I was an exceptional 4-for-5 with a profit of well over $30!  Horray for me and for Presque Isle racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment