Monday, May 16, 2016

Sunday May 16

Day 2 At Monmouth

I had five selections on the Sunday card, and late Saturday Jeff texted if he should up the bet on the last bet of the day at Santa Anita.  I told him to save his money because on Sunday I had a "BET of the Day" at Monmouth.  My top pick won the opener, but I didn't trust this lone speed around two turns.  The first bet, in the second was as bad a maiden claiming event as you could get.  BUT, Twofour Six Oh One was the O-N-L-Y one in the field who had EVER shown early speed.  He got to the front and coasted home as the 8/5 favorite.  In the second I doubled the bet on a Paco Lopez runner and he eased to the front but was immediately confronted by the second choice.  The two put on as good a stretch duel as you'd find in a Breeders' Cup race before hitting the line nearly simultaneously.  I had a bad feeling and the photo confirmed it.  Wrong bob on the wire, second.  Came back to win with Lopez on a double investment runner, Bodacious Babe in the fourth.  Then in the 7th was the BET of the Day with Roll Tide Roll for Todd Pletcher with Lopez up.  A miniature 3/5 price IN THE PROGRAM meant we wouldn't get anything, but a win is a win.  Jeff called to talk about the race and I told him I'd seen this guy run before.  He'd sit off the leaders, swoop by on the turn and run away.  The gates opened and he went to the front!  What!!!!  But then he appeared to ease back, but instead when two price plays came up inside he dueled with them!  Cleared into the lane and looked easily best, but then the second choice came to him and shades of the second race they laid it down to the wire......PHOTO finish again!  And again I was second.  Sigh......  In the final play of the day I ran 5th at 11/1 when I decided to go against Paco Lopez on the favorite in the feature - you can guess how that turned out!  Back to the Jersey Shore on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment