Thursday, August 18, 2016

August 17

Wednesday Night Racing Returns

After a week away from Wednesday Night Racing at Woodbine, we were back under the lights tonight.  I also had two selections from Presque Isle Downs in Erie.  That's where the first selection was running - Lucky Leroy Brown in a nw3L one mile event.  Sent off at 9/5 second choice he sat off the pace to the far turn, then continued on evenly to the wire, sixth.  The second at Woodbine would make the night a HUGE night if this Woodbine 40% Club play come score.  Beaver Trapper was 15/1 in the program but second off the shelf for trainer Justin Nixon made him a club play.  He was 24/1 at post time and seemed waiting to make his move to the turn, but then like the PID pick, ran evenly to the wire, sixth again.  I got my first win of the night in Presque Isle's 6th.  It looked to me like this multiple winner over the Erie track would sit just off the pace to the far turn, then blow by his rivals to score again.......

The race unfolded EXACTLY as I'd seen it!  He was 3/2 with ten minutes to post, then floated all the way up to 2/1 as they went through the post parade.  Back to 3/2 as they approached the gate; even money as they left the gate and 4/5 as he crossed the finish line, so I only collected a little under $20 instead of what could have been a $30 payoff.  My "best" bet of the night was next at Woodbine and Kitten Candy floated all the way up to 7/2.  I thought either I am way off or the crowd is giving me a nice gift.  I was off - showed nothing all the way around the track.  In the Presque Isle 8th my pick was #5 Sally Oh Sally.  She was entered in a Tuesday race identical to this, but scratched to run here which I saw as a positive sign.  I found it ironic and I am pretty certain that this was a "first" in over 18,000 race selections over the last ten plus years.  When I was a sophomore in college I went to the 100th running of the Kentucky Derby.  That year at Miami I was dating a girl named Sally Bryan.  My favorite number has always been "5."  And lo and behold at the Derby, the #5 horse was Flip Sal!  Duh, that was the bet.  Pulled up and eased out of the Derby :(  But with tonight's race here was another #5 with a horse named Sally.  I messaged my Facebook pal and told her my story for this evening's pick.  She was sent off as the 8/5 second choice.  As they rounded the turn the 6/5 favorite stayed behind horses waiting for a seam while my rider took Sally outside some six wide for a clear run.  A hole opened up and the favorite got through.  Sally was second best with the difference being the trip.  In the sixth at Woodbine it was a claiming event going 8 1/2 furlongs and it just seemed to me that Divine Sonnet was way too obvious.  The 5yo was getting his best distance (9/3-3-3) and last time out was a neck short behind a stakes winner in a starter allowance.  Sent off as the 6/5 favorite he set the pace while under mild pressure.  The fractions were soft - :25 and change, :51 and change so I knew I had plenty left for the drive.  But as they swung through the turn two rivals came to him.  Asked for more they battled through the stretch in a thrilling race........PHOTO FINISH! 

It was officially a photo but I was certain I'd hung on for my second win of the night.  Cashed for just shy of $25.  I passed the 7th at Woodbine and ironically in the three previous races where I'd passed I'd named a top choice and they ALL WON.  Wow......In the eighth I thought Snow Legacy had a chance in spite of the bar being 0-for-13 with last out winners.  It was the DRF handicapper's BEST of the night.  Snow had a pace advantage and was dropping out of allowance company with a smoking five furlong bullet work.  Pressed the 15/1 leader into the stretch, you know I'll run by him, but could never catch him, faded to third late.  For the night a decent 2-for-6 and 33% win average.  I decided to play Saratoga tomorrow in a "bonus day" of racing for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment