Sunday, August 7, 2016

August 7

WINNER - WINNER Chicken Dinner!
Close The Weekend With 2-for-3 Day On Jersey Shore

I debated handicapping an additional track, then re-examined the feature race at Monmouth, but in the end I showed great discipline (if I do say so myself) by sticking with my three Monmouth selections on the day's card.  And I was rewarded with two wins (and a third), a big profit, and if I had gone with the runner I liked in the feature I would have lost!  In the third race I liked Captain Stan on the turf in a nw3L event.  He'd just beaten $12.5K 3-lifetime runners for just his second career win and today was moving up a notch on the claiming price level while facing the same condition.  He was sent off as the 7/5 favorite and moved strongly on the turn into second with all the momentum.  But as they hit the final furlong he finished evenly to be third.  The fifth race was the BET of the DAY for me.  Check out my analysis and comments ......

As the field left the chute on the inner course Paco Lopez had Exclusive Strike in mid-pack and it appeared to me that the horse was FULL of run.  He began picking off horses, but up the rail and I was worried about him being caught in traffic again.  But mid-way on the turn the other contenders swung wide leaving the rail open for him as he began to accelerate.  As they turned for home the top three separated themselves and now there was clear sailing off the rail.  Lopez edged out three wide, hit the "GO" button and he was GONE.  Even track announcer Frank Mirahamadi saw the big run coming when as they spun out of the turn he said, "...Exclusive Strike is full of run and catches the eye....." 

Considering his class, turf wins, and the last out trouble I thought even money was just stealing here.  Collected 40 beans for the winning pick!  The eighth was my final play of the day and as soon as I saw the past performances I literally rolled my eyes because I've seen this OH SO MANY times here on the Jersey Shore.  Here's a class dropping runner from the NYRA circuit who showed speed against the better New York runners; ships to New Jersey and picks up top rider Paco Lopez.  These kind nearly all result in Lopez looking over his shoulder and/or under his arm with "that look" that says, "You really don't think you can catch me do you?  Seriously?"  I should have gone in for more, but I am trying to not up the ante all the time I have a strong feeling.  The race went EXACTLY as I saw it.  Do Share went right to the front, while Lopez sat still as a statute through the turn as the stalkers made their move with their riders scrubbing their arms off.  Lopez gave the look, shook the reins and he was GONE! 

For the day I was 2-for-3 with a nearly $30 profit!  And for the four days of racing this week I finished with a sharp 15-for-31 a big 48.4% winners and with a solid profit for the week.  AND we had a nice visit with the grandsons while allowing our daughter-in-law time to pack up their house for their big move to Kansas.

August 3-7 Best Bet Highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment